17. Sacrafice

Over the years, Severus gets me to tell him all about what happened after I left Hogwarts.

Like the time Hazel and I took the trio to the movies to watch Spiderman. Ron wasn't very happy about it. He kept complaining about it after. I found it very funny.

Or the time Sydney came back from a trip abroad with Seamus with a ring on her finger. Or the time we attended each other's weddings.

The time our kids first met. Severus takes it all in, never interrupting. Sometimes he will tell me about his time with Belle. I don't interrupt, because it's nice hearing what he thought about me.

"She's just annoying sometimes, but it gets lonely without her. I'm glad you're not that annoying."

"I used to annoy my father."

"How did he deal with it?"

"Just sort of rolled with it."

"She said I'm going to die."

"You will."

"She wants to save my life."

"She will."

"What if it doesn't work?"

"Then..." I pause to think back to when he died.

Mama Bird said hello.

"Mama Bird?"

"You'll be fine." I kiss his cheek, and he raises his eyebrows.

"What was that?"

"You'd never let me do it as a kid."

"Have I met you yet?"

I tap the side of my nose, smiling.

"Not telling."

"You will, though."

"Anyway, just give Isabelle a chance. She just wants to help."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

I watch myself grow older. I listen to Severus deciding on whether or not to adopt me. He says he starts to miss Belle when she's not around. He says he's attached.

I go back to being a school owl once Severus adopts her, just in case she spots me.

"Hedwig, can you take this letter to Sirius?" Asks Harry once in fourth year. I take the letter for him, even though I'm not Hedwig.

When I find Sirius, Hazel is with him. It seems they've grown fond of each other.

Alrighty then.

I hand over the letter, and watch them. Hazel notices it's me.

"Hi, Belle. I thought you were Hedwig for a moment."

I turn back into myself.

"Harry thinks so too."

"Isabelle?"

"I've grown, I know. This is the Belle that travelled back in time and scared you away from Severus in your first year."

"That was you..."

"Well, duh. I couldn't just let you guys hurt him."

He sighs and writes back to Harry, then sends me back to Hogwarts. It takes me a few days, but I get back quick enough. Harry takes the letter from me, then takes another look at me.

"You're not Hedwig. Did I send you instead of her? Sorry, owl."

I fly back to the owlery, for another quiet day of waiting for letters to be sent.