7. We're all just Ordinary Humans

After he promises, I nip his ear softly and fly off to work. I hoot when I get to Tom, then realise I'm still in owl form.

"Hello, there. What's your name, little owl?"

I turn back into myself. "Birdy."

He jumps, and puts a hand to his heart.

"You scared me!"

"Sorry, Tom." I say in between fits of giggles. "I didn't want to apparate back, so I flew."

"Do you have a name for your owl form?"

"Snowy."

"Where do you stay in the holidays?"

"With Bathilda Bagshot or I go back to Hogwarts."

"Bathilda Bagshot?"

"Yeah. And don't say I'm young, because I get that five times a day." I grab my cleaning things. "Can't I just use my wand?"

"That defeats the purpose of the word 'work'."

I pout, and get back to scrubbing tables. After a few hours, Tom gives me my money and I'm off to Spinner's end.

Severus is back in the park, sitting on the swings. I sit down next to him.

"What's up, Baby Bird?"

"Nothing much. Lily's just left to go shopping with her mother. How was work?"

"Fun, I guess. Want me to teach you some of my tricks?"

His eyes widen. "So I could talk to you in your mind?"

"Yes. Over any distance. I was a couple of years older than you when I learnt, so it'll be a bit slower teaching you. The good thing is, you don't need your wand. The trace won't detect you."

"So I could learn right now?"

"Yes. Let's start."

The first thing I get him to do is get inside my head while we're touching. Body contact is the easiest way. By the time it gets dark, I'm getting a bit of a whisper, but is can't make out what he's saying.

Well, it's a start.

We head back home, me in my owl form.

Yes, I said home. I used to live there, too.

Severus tries to go to bed early, but it's too late. Tobias comes home before Severus is in bed. He's been drinking as well. Not good.

He stumbled into Severus's room, mumbling nonsense. He spots me, and I eye him warily.

"What's this?" He slurs. "Speak, boy! What's wrong with you?!"

Severus winces, and speaks hastily. "Her name is Snowy and Dumbledore gave her to me but I don't know why."

"Dumbledore... Who's Dumbledore?"

"The headmaster of... My school."

Tobias starts to look angry at the mention of Hogwarts.

Ah, so we have another Dursley.

"Don't speak of that place in my house!" He roars. Severus flinches.

"I'm sorry."

"No, yours not! You told him! Now you're going to pay!"

He gets out a belt, and I screech at him, opening my wings. Severus grabs me, and opens the window.

"I'm sorry." He whispers, before throwing me out and shutting the window. I land on the ground and turn back into a human.

"Ouch." I mumble to myself. "That hurt, Baby Bird."