6. Promises

Woody is a nice owl to be around. He's a bit wary of me at first but I soon gain his trust. Apparently I'm fluent in bird language.

Either that or he can sense why I'm here.

That night is warm, and I don't hear anything that suggests Tobias is angry. I'm relieved in the morning when Severus appears to take me to the park, where he's going to see Lily. Once we're far enough away from the house I turn back into a human.

"Woody likes the feather shaped treats better than the claw shaped ones, by the way." I say. "He also likes strawberries for some reason."

"I'll keep that in mind. Do you want to meet Lily?"

"Sure, why not? She is your best friend, after all."

"I think it's hard for her, being friends with me."

"What makes you say that?"

"I'm a Slytherin! She's a Gryffindor!"

"Well, then. If that's the case, I don't see you running scared."

"And then there's James making me look like a fool."

"It's not like she likes him." I say. "She's trying to make him the sun of her life."

"Isn't that what you say to show your affection to someone?" He starts balancing on the curb, and stretches his arms out to stop himself from falling.

"I meant she's trying to make sure he's really far away from her." I say, copying him.

He laughs, and we cross the road. Soon, we're in the spot he normally meets her. After a bit, she comes over.

"Hello, Sev. Who's your friend?"

"I'm Mama Bird. Or Birdy, or Snowy. Call me whatever you want as long as it has something to do with a snowy owl. What's your name?"

"Lily. Pleasure to meet you." She holds out a hand, and I smile.

"Pleasure to meet you too. How was your school year?"

"It was great. Oh, Sev, remember the train ride?"

"I told you, it was probably Potter or someone else."

"I heard a pop." She says to me. "Like someone apparated onto the train. Although, that's nearly impossible. Apparently it's very hard to apparate onto a moving object."

"And very scary." I add. "I've tried before, and nearly got myself splinched."

"That wasn't very safe, you know."

"I'm a risk taker." I shrug. "Albus can tell you. Or Bathilda, or even Minerva."

"Professor Dumbledore? Bathilda Bagshot? Professor McGonagall? You're friends with them all?"

"Yeah."

"I don't mean to say they're old, but you're so young!"

I start laughing. "If only you knew how old I really am."

"What?! That's not possible."

"Keep your mind open to all possibilities, Lily. You'll need that."

"Okay, I guess. So what do you do for a living?"

"Um... Starbucks?" I lie. "It's a cafe in... America." I say. "It's pretty popular there."

"How do you go to work there?"

"Apparating."

"Of course."

"Anyway, I'll leave you to your stuff. I need to go to work. Have fun."