The Gift

This story is a pure fictional work

Narrator's POV

At night, Amrit was sitting with her mother and grandpa in the living room. All her cousins had left.

"It's Bhai Dooj the day after tomorrow." Amrit said as she looked at the pictures she clicked today.

"But none of your cousins will be here for you" Her grandfather said with pity.

"Hmm" Amrit said "I am going to sleep"

She went to her room and locked the door.

"This will be the first time she would have no brother for bhai dooj" her mother said with a bit sadness in her voice.

"And even Ajay (her dad) will be here to ensure that she is happy as we are going to Menaka's (some relative) house." her grandfather said looking at her mother.

"Hey Narayan! Please take care of her this Bhai Dooj. She would be alone" her mother prayed in her mind.

Amrit's POV

I locked the door and sat on my bed while looking out at the sky.

So will I really have no brother this year? Not Daksh. Not Aryan Bhaiya. No one. And I won't even have anyone to spend my whole day with.

A tear fell from my eyes.

What will I do the whole day?

Soon I fell asleep. I don't know how? But I woke up with a blanket over me.

But the door was locked from inside and I didn't even had any blanket on my bed.

This year is going really crazy!!!

Narrator's POV

The whole day passed without much event and Amrit almost forgot about the blanket case.

Next day was Bhai dooj.

Amrit's POV

"Listen Ammu! I have kept your breakfast in the fridge. Be sure to warm it before eating" my dear mom told me the sixth time.

"Ha mumma! You have told this the tenth time" I lied

"I will take care of myself. You can go without any worry " I reassured her.

"Dadu! Now take her otherwise she will tell me more of her dos and don't dos" I told my grandpa.

Soon they both went and I went to my washroom to have a shower.

I wore a blue coloured half sleeve t shirt with a red leggings.

I know that's an odd combination but I love it.

I was about to heat the food when suddenly I felt something strange.

It was as if I was not in my control.

I don't know why but I took all the things necessary for the Bhai Dooj ceremony and kept them and also decorated it as it should be.

What am I doing? I asked myself as my body came into my control.

This diwali is going so strange! I exclaimed in my mind.

As I was about to take the things to keep them in their places.

"Wait!"

I looked around to see who said that but no one was there.

I am becoming mad!