chapter thirteen

dec 12, 2017

"so have you heard the new kendrick lamar album?" jason whispered as we were set in the school's library, using our free period usefully by studying.

furrowing my brows, i looked up from the math problem i was trying to solve, "which one?"

"damn," he whispered back instantly. leaning over, he rummaged through his backpack, pulling white Apple earbuds out if his bag and dangling them in the air before plugging them in his phone and handing me one of the buds. placing the other one in his ear, he hit play on the first track of the album.

by the time the third song rolls around, i have already ditch the homework i was working on and instead was sketching in my art journal. my eyes flickering from the page to jason every minute or so.

jason truly is beautiful with his blond hair and crystal blue eyes. it was like god took his time on him; making sure everything was perfect about him before sending him to roam around earth.

and i truly don't understand why someone like him would want to be friend with someone like me. i'm not special. i have so many imperfections and insecurities. on a scale of one to ten, i'm a good 3 (a 5 on a good day), whiles he's a solid 10.

him being friends with me doesn't make a lot of sense and deep down i feel like there's some sort of catch there because no one is ever this nice towards me; and no one has ever insisted to be my friend like jason did.

"i forgot to ask you," jason spoke up, lifting his head to look at me. my arm instinctively going on top of the page, to shield the drawing, "what are you doing for the holidays?"

"oh uhm," i bit my lip, recalling all these awkward and painful christmas dinners and new year's parties, "pretty sure i'll be left alone." i mentally slapped myself for voicing that out loud.

i watched as jason's brows furrowed, "left alone?"

nervously laughing, my eyes darted around the room, "yeah, you know, uhm."

"if that's the case, you're welcomed to come to my place," jason spoke, his eyes still moving across my face, trying to find something, "dad's making his famous lasagna. though on the downside my sister's bringing over her tool of a boyfriend."

"that's okay! and that sounds amazing, i would love to," i faked a smile, making jason smile too — though his was probably real and genuine.