Death of the Doctor - Making of the Key

Sarah Jane, the Doctor and I sit crouched by the device as we fix separate parts and Sarah Jane uses her sonic when asked. "So, you one of his new friends?" Sarah Jane asks me as I electrocute myself slightly.

"I'm sorry, I haven't really introduced myself. My name's Mackenzie Pond." I introduce myself shaking her hand. "And no, not quite." I say, not sure if I should say or not.
"Mackenzie, is my girlfriend." The Doctor says to Sarah Jane. "Here." He says smiling up at me softly and I roll my eyes at his forwardness.
"Aren't you human?" Jo asks, coming up behind us.
"Uh, that's kind of a grey area." I say. "When my sister and I first started travelling with the Doctor we got into some trouble with these fish vampire aliens and I ended up practically dying, so the Doctor turned me into a Time Lord." I explain hesitantly, not knowing why it felt so weird explaining it to someone.
"Is that possible?" Sarah Jane asks, surprised.
"We didn't think it would work, but the Tardis helped and gave her some of her energy." The Doctor explains as he sits back, taking a break from the device for a moment.
"IT's basically made the Tardis my life source, so when she exploded I died." I explain, obviously surprising Jo and Sarah Jane.
"Exploded?" Sarah Jane asks.
"Oh yeah, different time line, confusing timey wimey stuff." I says. "Oh my God." I mutter.
"What?" The Doctor asks, starting to work again.
"I'm turning into you." I laugh as I continue working.
"Did it hurt?" Sarah Jane asks after a few moments. The Doctor glances to her before looking back to the device, pointing at another point for her to sonic. "I mean, the regeneration. That last body of yours, was he okay in the end?" She asks and I purse my lips, watching the Doctor, knowing it was a touchy area for him, there were very few things he didn't tell me, but his deaths and past selves are one of those things, but also partially curious for myself.
"It always hurts. And there." He says simply.
"So how did you end up in this place?" Sarah Jane questions, knowing to change the subject.
"The Shansheeth lured us here." The Doctor lies.
"Uh, no, we were going to the beach for a date and you heard about the being dead thing and tried to get to Sarah and Jo and the Tardis didn't want to go there so we stopped here and then she started dematerialising, and the Shansheeth stole her." I say.
"Yes, okay fine. They got married. wE dropped them off at a honeymoon planet, which isn't what you'd think. It's not a planet for a honeymoon, it's a planet on a honeymoon. It married an asteroid. Then they nicked the Tardis. The Shansheeth, not Amy and er. Fortunately, we had all this wreckage to build a space swapping doo-dah thingummy wotsit." The Doctor admits.
"So, you've got a married couple in the Tardis?" Jo asks and I turn around to face her.
"An annoying one at that." I smile.
"You don't like them?" She asks and I laugh.
"Mister and Mrs Pond." The Doctor explains.
"Yeah, Amy, she's my sister." I tell her and Jo looks like she's about to ask why they're called Pond. "He has a thing with the surname Pond." And she nods, understanding.
"I only left you because I got married." Jo says and the Doctor doesn't look at her as he leans on the device and I sit on the floor, looking over to her. "Did you think I was stupid?" She asks.
"Why would you say that?" The Doctor replies, still not looking to her.
"I was a bit dumb. Still am, I suppose." She sighs out, making the Doctor looking to her fully.
"Now what in the world would make you think that, ever, ever, ever?" He walks over to her and sits on a rock close to hers as I carry on working with Sarah Jane.
"We'd been travelling down the Amazon for months, and we reached a village in Cristalino, and it was the only place in thousands of miles that had a telephone, so I called you. I just wanted to say hello. And they told me that you'd left, left UNIT, never came back. So I waited and waited, because you said you'd see me again. You did, I asked you and you said yes. You promised. So I thought, one day, I'd hear that sound, Deep in the jungle, I'd hear that funny wheezing noise, and a big blue box right in the middle of the rainforest. You see, he wouldn't just leave. Not forever. Not me. I've waited my whole silly life." She says tearing up.
"But you're an idiot." The Doctor says.
"Well, there you have it." Jo laughs.
"No, but don't you see? How could I ever find you? You've spent the past forty years living in huts, climbing up trees, tearing down barricades. You've done everything from flying kites on Kilimanjaro to sailing down the Yangtze in a tea chest. Not even the Tardis could pin you down." He says and I sit back smiling as she realises he'd kept an eye on her.
"Hold on. I did sail down the Yangtze in a tea chest. How did you know?"
"And that family. All seven kids, twelve grandchildren, thirteenth on his way. He's dyslexic but that'll be fine. Great swimmer." He says and I call out to him.
"Spoilers!"
"You're spending too much time with River." He says.
"So you've been watching me all this time?" Jo asks.
"No. Because you're right, I don't look back. I can't. But the last time I was dying, I looked back on all of you. Every single one. And I was so proud." He says to her.
"It really is you, isn't it?" Jo asks, confirming that this was all real and it wasn't made up.
"Hello." He says and they laugh before Sarah Jane blows a whistle, standing up from the rock she had sat on once I stopped working and watched them.
"Sorry, but we've got that lot back at home with the Shansheeth." She interrupts and the Doctor and I stand up.
"Yes, yes. And I still need you, Jo. Now, that bag of yours, I can smell blackcurrant. Is it buchu oil?" The Doctor asks coming back over to me, kissing my cheek.
"Hand-picked in Mozambique." She says taking it out and passing it to him.
"Oh, perfect. These circuits need connectivity. Wonderful. Little tiddly drop. That's it. What a team." He says as he drops it in and places the top back on.