2 - Reckless

"How long are you planning to stare at your screen now?"

Rena's voice rang across the hallway.

"Just one more minute!" I yelled back, my eyes still glued to the screen.

She entered the room. "You've been on your computer all day," she mumbled, munching on an apple while taking sluggish steps towards me. "Still researching?"

I hummed, not sparing her a glance.

"We were supposed to go shopping today," she groaned. "It's the last day of summer vacation and you chose to waste it on your computer."

"I didn't stop you from going out now, did I?"

She dropped on the bed. "I'm not going out without you and you know that. Shopping alone is the most tragic thing ever if you suck at choosing clothes."

I snorted. "And I'm good at choosing clothes because...?"

"Why are you so obsessed with stuff about the other world anyway?"

I sighed. "If you're going to lecture me again-"

"I'm nottt," she dragged her sentence. "You brainwashed me into thinking that the other world does exist, so I won't lecture you again. But still, why do you keep researching about it? Why not just let it go?"

I turned my chair to her direction and rubbed my eyes. "Maybe because it's the only interesting thing in this boring old world," I chuckled.

"Oh," she nodded. "Tell me about it. I'm just waiting for the day I finally graduate and leave this one heck of a prison for good."

"School hasn't started yet and you're already stressing?" I giggled.

"No. Of course not. Life is great. Life is amazing," she exclaimed.

I shook my head and turned back to the computer.

"Are you still hell bent on seeing that reaper again?"

I stopped typing and looked at her staring at me with her eyebrows raised questioningly. She always thought that the shady person I met many years ago was just an eccentric man who wanted to pacify a small girl who was shocked out of her mind. Not a reaper or something like that.

"Lyn... All jokes aside, I really think that you should stop. This whole thing is eating you up and you're starting to do reckless things!"

I widened my eyes. She couldn't have possibly-

"I saw you roam around accident scenes on tv many times. What were you thinking? Did you really think that some reaper would suddenly appear out of thin air around dead people?" She frowned, sitting up.

She did.

I pursed my lips, looking away. I really did think that.

"I can't help it, Rena. That's the only way I would spot one... if they really existed..."

She sighed, rubbing her forehead. "But did you spot any? No. So please stop doing this. I'm worried about you, Lyn..."

I didn't want to stop. Not until I confirmed their existence. But in truth, I was losing faith as years went by. I couldn't find any lead even when I ran around places where accidents happened. I even went to hospitals and morgues, lying to the staff that it was for a research.

Maybe it's time for me to stop. My grades suffered greatly because of this obsession of mine last year. Maybe it's time for me to focus on school. After all, I was a senior already.

"Alright. I'll stop," I said after turning off the computer. "I'm actually tired of all this, so..."

She nodded and jumped up from the bed. "Well. Let's go eat, I'm starving."

"Takeout?" I smiled sheepishly. "I don't feel like cooking right now, my head is killing me."

"Yeah sure," she shrugged and threw my jacket at me. "Let's go."

Rena and I were currently living together in my house since my parents went abroad for work a few months ago. It's pretty chaotic inside this dwelling but we love it. We've been together since we were babies so we pretty much consider each other as sisters. Partners in crime, soulmates, you name it.

She's my better half.

I locked the door and interlocked our arms before walking away. "How about we go to that tacos restaurant we saw a few days ago?"

"What? That was miles away from here," she whined before pressing the elevator button.

"Yeah, so let's take the bus. I'm really in the mood for some tacos," I giggled, swinging her arm back and forth.

She groaned before giving in.

We walked out of our apartment and arrived at the bus stop. It was quite crowded and I cursed internally, instantly regretting my decision. The bus ride was going to be rough.

Our bus arrived and we quickly got on it. As expected, there was no seat available and it was full of people. I sighed and grabbed a handlebar, facing the window.

Buildings and trees were zooming past and I just watched the sceneries outside and the people hustling and bustling about.

I was lost in thought.

I recalled the time I witnessed something so... I couldn't describe it. I wanted to forget that day but at the same time, I didn't want to. Or rather, I wasn't able to. That day was so etched onto my brain that I would visit it every time. And whenever that happened, I would miss Leah so much.

And then, the appearance of that reaper would become visible in my eyes. The gray hair, the black suit, the white skin and the heart-shaped lips... just like that guy's lips...

I paused.

I looked back at the gray-haired guy standing at the crossroad. I gasped out loud.

It was him! That reaper! He was wearing a black suit and had his hands tucked inside his pockets.

I can't be mistaken!

I couldn't think straight. The only thing that came to my mind was to run to him.

I dashed to the front and yelled at the driver, "Open the door right now!"

————————————————————
A/N: What is he doing there? 🧐

Thank you for reading and please don't forget to vote if you liked this chapter 💜