37 - Sleepover

"Lyn!"

Rena engulfed me into a hug once she opened her door for me.

"I missed you!"

I chuckled and handed her the bag filled with snacks. "We just met last week."

She fake gasped, looking at me with large eyes and furrowed brows. "That's such a long time!"

I rolled my eyes while smiling and shuffling inside the room after her. "So how's school? Don't you think you should stop going now? I mean, it's just adding stress to your body..."

She hummed while taking the items out of the bag and putting them on the wooden table that was placed at the foot of her bed. "I already stopped going starting from this week..." She forced a smile while facing down. "They said that I need to get hospitalized soon."

My smile and heart simultaneously dropped and I looked at her in silence and disbelief, hoping that she didn't really say that just now.

I knew that she would start living in that suffocating place sooner or later, but I still wasn't prepared for it. I would never.

"That's why I called you today," she chimed and walked past me to sit on the bed. "To spend time with you for the last time... I actually have something to say."

Last time?

I turned to look at her, pain etched into my face, searching for her eyes, hoping that they tell me what she was planning to tell me as she pulled my hands down to sit beside her.

With a soft sigh, she eyed her thumbs that traced my palms, trying to appease me before she dropped the bomb. Her unexpected decision that stabbed me right in the heart.

"I'm giving him a gun tomorrow."

My mouth went agape. My throat went dry. Her words echoed inside my head, freezing every muscle and chilling every cell, shocking my entire being.

"No, you're not," I let out under my breath, anger and sorrow slowly but surely building up inside me.

She licked her lips before tightening her hold on my hands. "My body hurts, Lyn. It hurts so much that I can't even say that I'm hurting... Sometimes, it's just too hard to sleep at night when it feels like my head's about to split. The worst part is, it doesn't... It torments me and then leaves me just to come back again to torture me. I know it won't stop until I'm dead, so I want it to stop sooner."

I bit my bottom lip harshly to stop it from quivering.

"Getting hospitalized and forcing my parents and everyone else who cares about me to stay beside my bed day after day, worrying them sick just to have them mourn me... I don't want that. The sooner, the better."

"Rena..."

She looked up into my eyes with a bright smile, contrasting her true feelings. "So I want to bid you my farewell."

I lost it.

Unable to handle my emotions, I lunged towards her and urgently wrapped my arms around her, holding her tightly, hoping that I was holding her life by doing so.

I didn't say anything.

I couldn't say anything.

She rubbed my back as my sobs filled the silent room. Her sniffles were overpowered by my cries, but my chest was being pierced millions of times upon hearing them.

"Hey now," she croaked, "I didn't call you here to dehydrate. We're having a Disney movie marathon."

"What the heck are you even talking about, you idiot," I exclaimed with a broken voice, breaking the hug to frown at her. "This isn't the time for Disney movies!"

"But..." She sniffled before pouting. "We haven't had that in a long time."

I sighed before giving in.

The time we spent together grew smaller and smaller every month after we graduated high school and I was afraid that we were drifting further apart just because of that trivial fact.

I regretted all the times that I wasn't there with her.

All the plans we made, all the promises we had... Betting on who will get married first, agreeing that our children would become best friends just like us in a heartbeat...

They're empty promises now... hopeless dreams.

She gave me a weak smile as we both stared at each other in silence, our sorrows and griefs shifting the air once again.

"I'm such a horrible friend," I whispered.

She grabbed the empty air between us, forming a fist and holding it out for me with a judgmental expression.

I looked at it in confusion. "What?"

"Eat your words," she demanded, bringing her hand closer to me, "because what you said just now is the biggest lie you've ever told."

Biting the insides of my cheeks, huffing out a breath, I shook my head. "Does Taehyung know you're this childish?"

"Does Jimin know you're a chaotic liar?" She retorted, cocking an eyebrow.

Touché.

I scoffed. "Is this a boyfriend fight?"

She wiped her tears and took two bags of chips from the table before giving me one and opening hers while sitting on the bed with her legs crossed. "That actually sounds interesting. Boyfriend fight, it is."

"Wait, what-"

————————————————————
A/N: Since it was getting too long, I'm separating it into 2 chapters.

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹