25 - Heavy resolve

Evelyn's POV

Breathing heavily, I slowly opened my eyes to find myself in a hospital room again.

There were throbbing sensations in my head, my neck and shoulders. My eyes were aching, too. I had to close them frequently to stop their stinging.

I felt like throwing up, but I couldn't bring my limbs to move. It was like a heavy weight was placed on my body, pinning me down onto the bed.

I looked around the room until my eyes landed on Jimin sleeping beside me, his head placed on the mattress with his cheek squished, and his hand holding mine tightly.

With just his presence, my anxiety immediately subsided and I took a deep calming breath.

My heart fluttered, seeing him next to me. His presence washed away all my worries. I was afraid that he might leave me after what he said when I was unconscious. I heard every single word and I wanted to hold him in my arms so badly during my sleep.

But... since when did soul reapers sleep?

If I recall, he told me they didn't need a bed since they never sleep.

Confused, I tried lifting my hand that was clutched tightly in his, moving his hand as well to wake him up.

He jolted up and his eyes fought to open, blinking repeatedly. Even that looked so adorable. His pouting lips made him look even more like a baby.

Yawning, he rubbed his eyes before looking at me and froze immediately. His eyes slowly widened and he gasped before holding my face.

"L-Lyn!"

I smiled softly. "Jimin... I-"

Before I could continue, he engulfed me in his arms and I yelped, hissing.

"Jimin! Stop, stop, I'm hurting!"

He quickly let me go before pursing his lips. "I'm sorry. I just got too happy to see you finally wake up... You were unconscious for two days."

My eyebrows jumped. "Wha- Did you call my parents?"

"No... I didn't know their numbers."

"Good. I don't want to worry them. I should-" I grunted while trying to sit up.

He hurriedly pushed me down to the bed. "You're not fully healed, you idiot! God, what should I do with you..."

I let out a chuckle but it died quickly when I saw his expression still staying solemn.

"Evelyn..." I gulped. "I can't see you suffer like this anymore... I think we should-"

"Stop." I shut my eyes tight, not wanting to hear him say it. "Don't say that we should breakup. Please don't."

"Lyn, if we don't put distance between us, we will both get hurt! How do you expect me to sit still and watch you almost die before me?!"

"You can protect me when such things happen," I pleaded him, desperately searching his eyes.

He shook his head with a crushed expression. "I couldn't protect you this time... I can't take chances."

Then, what do you want to do?

"I'm not saying that I will leave you forever... I'll come to visit you once in a while, but I won't be staying long. That way, you won't be exposed to dangers as much as you do now. There's nothing else I can do..."

I bit my lips, looking outside the window.

I couldn't argue against that.

I couldn't risk my life and worry others. I had become aware of how fragile life was, how easily it could slip away. I couldn't lie that I wasn't afraid.

His suggestion was better than him leaving me after all. There was no other way.

"Okay. Please do that... And..."

I looked up at him, forcing a smile.

"Let's hope our feelings fade away during that time..."

My heart stung as he looked away, blinking his tears before smiling as well.

"Yes... Hopefully, they will..."

————————————————————
A/N:

————————————————————A/N:

10 chapters in a week... Wow...
I should be proud of myself 😭

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹