7 - Serendipitous expedition

What am I even doing...

I was stalki- I mean, following Mr. Jimin, guided by my curiosity after eavesdropping on their conversations. I never knew what kind of work they did and I got all the more intrigued when they mentioned the name Taehyung.

He wouldn't let me say a single word to him in the diner so this was the only way to know... anything.

By stal- following him to wherever he was going.

I also prayed for him to choke on his food, but to my disappointment, he didn't.

I trailed him from behind, smooth like a snake, keeping my distance and gluing my eyes on his gray hair attentively. It was sticking out like a sore thumb among the crowd.

A lady in brown coffee dress suddenly stopped him on his tracks by slithering her hand around his collar and pulling him towards her. Judging from her look, she was definitely flirting with him.

To my disgust, he returned the flirtation and wrapped his left arm around her waist, drawing her near himself, smirking while doing so.

"What's a fine man like you doing here all alone?" The woman purred, playing with his collar and eyeing him as if he was a full course meal laid out before her to devour. "How about you and I grab some drink?" She gestured to the night club near them.

Mr. Jimin chuckled and gently traced her cheek with the back of his hand. "Sorry, sweetie. This fine man is busy right now, so you're gonna have to find someone else to play with."

I let out a breath of relief while she frowned and strutted away from him with much displeasure.

After a while, we arrived at a desolate area at the outskirts of the city. The road was empty with the exception of one or two cars zooming past us.

I thought he was going to work, what is this? It was still working hours, so why?

He then stopped and pulled out a paper before reading it intently. What was he doing in the middle of nowhere?

I felt a sudden chill run through my spine. What if he was doing illegal business here, like selling drugs or human trafficking? What have I gotten myself into?

I hid behind some trees and ran my fingers through my hair, feeling anxious all of a sudden. I started regretting my dumb decision to stalk him. No, follow him.

I was so stressed, wallowing in all the possible negative outcomes that might result from my little excursion that I didn't notice two vehicles colliding with each other with immense force. Only the thunderous sound of it snapped my thoughts and struck terror into my whole body.

I couldn't comprehend what just happened, too frightened out of my wits, unable to think straight. My heart was pounding unbelievably fast, my whole body was trembling with its reverberation.

The only thing I could do was watch as the gray haired man stride towards the wreckage of a truck and a sedan. He inspected the two bodies in each of the vehicles and heaved a sigh before looking up in the air at his eye level.

"Don't be scared of me. I'm here to escort you to your afterlife," he said as if he was talking to someone in front of him.

He was staring at nothing and talking to nothing.

And escorting to afterlife? I couldn't believe what I just heard.

"Yes," he spoke again. "I know, and I'm sorry for that. But this is how you leave this world."

He then looked back at the truck driver. "He survived. It's not his time yet."

With a guilty expression, he turned back and said, "I'm sorry, once again. But, we have to go now."

He extended his hand to the front and walked further away from me with his hand forming half a fist as if he was pulling something.

My feet started running towards him before my brain could function and absorb all the information.

He was- He was a-

As soon as I caught up with him, my surroundings changed. I was inside some kind of a building with no roof. It was daytime and yet, the dark and violet sky was hanging over me, robbing me of my comfort and replacing it with terror.

I didn't know where I was.

I didn't know how I came here.

I only kept running after Mr. Jimin as my sole beacon of light, in hopes of salvaging myself out of this unknown place. I gasped when I saw a woman walk behind him, her hand clasped in his.

She was the driver of that sedan just now.

My breath got stuck in my throat when I realized that she was in fact, her soul. She must have died after that crash and Mr. Jimin was here to ascend her.

They stopped before an elevator and he handed her an empty snow globe.

"What is this?" She asked confused.

"This is where you'll leave all your memories to start your next life as a new person." He smiled. "It is compulsory for everyone."

She nodded in awe and then sighed heavily. "It's so hard. I had so many things that I wanted to do, so many people I couldn't spend time with. And my husband..." A tear escaped her eye. "How will he feel when he learns about my death? All because I couldn't focus on the road while driving... If only we didn't have that stupid argument."

He rubbed her back, soothing her and wiped her tear. "People are amazing creatures. They can endure pain and rise up again after falling to the cold hard ground. You have to believe and hope that he will live happily in the future."

She sniffled before nodding again. "I wish he does."

"Just push the button on the bottom of the globe and you're done," he said with his soft voice. "Then you'll have to get on this elevator and go where it leads you to."

She obliged and did as told, erasing her memories and getting on the elevator, leaving us. He inserted the globe in the slot next to the lift and turned around to look at me shocked.

"WHAT THE HECK?!"

I gulped. "Yes?"

"What are you doing here?! How did you get here?!"

"I don't know actually. I just followed you and," I mumbled as I looked around the eerie place. "I came here. What is this place?"

He stomped towards me and held my shoulders. "Look into my eyes."

I stared at him. His eyes suddenly flashed purple for a second and changed back to their original color.

"What was that for?"

He gaped at me, his eyes almost popping out. "You still remember me?"

"Yes? Mr. Jimin...?"

He slowly closed his eyes and ran his fingers through his slick hair in frustration. "How can this be?"

I suddenly felt giddy and tiptoed towards him with sparkling eyes.

"You're a soul reaper, aren't you, Mr. Jimin?"

——————————————————————
A/N: SKSKSJSK I CAN'T. WHENEVER I WRITE GRAY HAIR, THESE EMOJIS APPEAR 👨‍🦳👩‍🦳 AND I IMAGINE JIMIN AS A GRANDPA

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹
(Took me 3 days, eye-)