24 - Gift of life

Jimin's POV

Please don't leave me... Please...

I rubbed my face while pacing restlessly outside the operation room. Everything seemed to be a blur.

It was all my fault.

She's now on the verge of death because I was careless. No, because I was hindering her life.

It's all because of me.

My tears were streaming down my cheeks and I had trouble breathing, my chest hurting and squeezing in pain. It was agonizing.

I roughly brushed my hair backwards before looking up at the ceiling, whimpering and biting my bottom lip to stop it from trembling.

Lyn... please don't die. I don't know how I can bear that. I don't know how I can live without you...

I will do anything...

I will do anything to see your sweet smile again, to feel you in my arms again, and to hear your voice calling my name again...

I will leave you for you to live your life in peace, so please... I beg you...

I dropped to the ground, covering my face to silence my loud sobs and whimpers.

Please wake up...

For thousands of years... I had no trouble existing alone. I never wanted anyone else to be with me, right beside me.

Roaming aimlessly around the earth, I never needed anyone.

My reason to continue existing was to carry out my duty and bring in souls who had lived their lives.

Nothing more, nothing else.

But now... I wouldn't be able to survive- no, I wouldn't be able to get through a single day without Evelyn.

Now... she became the sole reason I wish to keep living...

Please... wake up...

The door suddenly opened and I quickly stood up before staggering towards the doctor.

"I-Is she okay? Did she make it?"

He nodded and I finally let out a breath I was holding for so long.

"The operation was successful. She is fine now. But her head was injured quite badly, so she will be unconscious for a day or two. It usually depends on the person."

My heart throbbed but I nodded, bowing. "I see. Thank you so much for saving her life!"

"You're welcome. You can see her now." With a smile smile, he bowed back at me and walked away.

Taking a deep breath, I dragged my feet into the room.

Upon seeing the state she was in, my breath hitched.

She was bandaged everywhere... Even around her eyes...

Her face was paler than snow and her chest was heaving up and down almost unnoticeably.

I almost lost it.

Kneeling down beside her almost lifeless form, I clutched her cold hand with my trembling one, intertwining our fingers before bringing it up to kiss it.

My tears started flowing again as a heavy lump formed in my throat.

"Lyn..." I choked on my sobs. "I'm sorry for causing you pain like this... I promised you that I would protect you... but I couldn't..."

I rubbed my face with my sleeve before coughing.

"I don't deserve to be with you, Lyn... I really don't, no matter what you say. This is what happens when you get too close to death... I will only cause you misery."

"But why..."

"Why can't I just leave you? Why can't you push me away? Why do I still want you even when I know I shouldn't?"

I brought our intertwined hands up to place them against my forehead.

"I want to be with you in this life, in your next life, and the next and so on. You are my air, my heart, my whole world... Without you, I don't wish to continue existing. I don't need anything else, but you..."

Now I was starting to realize how Taehyung felt all these years... Why he was relentlessly chasing after Rena for centuries like a madman.

Because love made him like that...

I, too, became a victim of it unknowingly.

I sighed, trying to calm down my labored breathing.

"I don't know what to do, Lyn... I have to leave you for your own good."

"I can't bear seeing you like this..."

I really couldn't.

Her life being at risk like this was driving me insane.

She had my whole life, my whole heart.

Her gorgeous smile, her lovely voice, the way her breathtakingly beautiful eyes would hold me, melting my frozen heart and bestowing me with myriads of colorful emotions that seemed to intensify as time went by.

She gifted me with life and all the wonderful things it had to offer.

For someone who had only known death, she was the best thing that happened to me.

I was living because of her.

I felt alive because of her.

And I shouldn't be granting her death...

I must protect her.

————————————————————
A/N:

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹