42 - A day at work

Jimin gasped in horror. "You're going?!"

"I'll be fine, Jimin," I tried assuring him, holding his hands tightly. "I won't take long, I'll just grab my job description and stuff and leave immediately after that, okay?"

I started walking out of the hotel room, but he grabbed my wrist, stopping me. I looked back at him to see his face twisted in worry.

"I'll come with you."

I couldn't say no to him so I nodded. In fact, I was relieved that he was coming with me. I had to at least sign my documents for my work today since I didn't go there yesterday and if I were to be honest, I was actually dreading going out today.

We both walked out together and soon arrived at the police department.

"I'll stay here," Jimin said and kissed my temple. "When something happens, call me. Or just think about me, okay?"

I nodded and walked up the stairs, leaving him at the lobby.

"Lyn," my uncle called when I entered his office, and ran up to me for a hug.

"Hey, uncle," I muttered softly.

He pulled back to give me a sorrowful look. "I'm sorry for what happened to Rena..."

I pursed my lips as my gaze fell to the floor.

My voice quivered as I whispered, "It was her decision... I should... respect that..."

A piercing silence filled the room and I clenched the fabric of my jeans as my chest squeezed in pain.

He hugged me again and my tears welled up as he rubbed my back soothingly.

"She's in a better place now," he whispered while caressing my head.

I hummed, whimpering a little.

"Sir, they called you to- Oh."

Someone suddenly walked in, and I broke the hug to turn around and saw my boss looking at us surprised.

"Evelyn," he chimed, smiling at me, "are you here to start working today?"

I blinked away my tears to properly face him. "I'm sorry but I don't feel good today either... I'll be sure to start working next week. For today, I came here to sign my documents. Is that okay?"

He reluctantly nodded. "I see... Well then, follow me, Evelyn." He turned to look at my uncle. "And they're calling you down at the confinement cells."

"Alright," my uncle sounded and shuffled towards his desk.

I followed my boss to the human resource department room downstairs where four people wearing uniforms sat around a round table, discussing some matters.

"Guys," he exclaimed, making them turn their heads to my direction. "Our new employee is here to sign the documents."

🌹🌹🌹

"So, we all are looking forward to working with you, Evelyn."

I smiled at all of them. "Likewise."

"Well then, I'll see you on Monday morning," my boss said with a small smile and shook my hand. "Rest well before then."

I thanked him and walked out of the room and through the long hallway.

That went well...

My smile faded when a siren suddenly blasted throughout the building, signaling that someone escaped from the confinement cells.