39 - Heartbreak

"Your eyes look puffy."

Rena snorted and covered her mouth not to spit out her food.

"Yours look even puffier," she retorted, making me fan them to cool them down.

We were having our breakfast at her school cafeteria. The place was empty save for a few students here and there who actually cared about having breakfast.

"So, it's your first day of work today, right? Good luck on making first impressions."

"Yay, I'm looking forward to it," I exclaimed sarcastically.

After finishing her food, she fumbled with her bag before handing me a huge envelop. I inspected it with confusion before trying to rip off the seal.

"Don't!" I flinched when she suddenly yelled. "Open that after a month or so passes after my death."

I froze.

Gulping, I hissed, "Don't say that."

She bit her lips. "Don't grieve after me too much, Lyn... People come and go and life goes on. Find something you can divert your attention to, like you did with the underworld. Later on, I'll fade away with time like I should but until then, don't think much about me, okay?"

Tears brimmed my eyes and I clutched my thighs.

Getting off her chair, she stood beside me and leveled down to hug me tightly.

"Lyn, I can't thank you enough for walking into my life and turning it into a very beautiful place for me to live in... All the memories we created together, those were the happiest times." She placed her forehead on my shoulder. "You're the bestest friend anyone could wish for."

I sniffled, blinking my tears. "That's a lie, but okay."

She stifled a laugh. "Drop your sass for one minute, Lyn. I want to express my feelings here."

"That's a lie because you're the bestest friend in this world," I said. "Be strong in your next life and break your curse, Rena. Don't worry about us."

She broke the hug, pulling back and stared at me with teary eyes before nodding. "Be well while I'm gone, okay?"

I nodded with a sad smile.

Please don't go...

"I love you, Lyn." She gave me a heartfelt smile.

"I love you, too, Rena." My chest was being squeezed painfully hard.

She took her bag and waved at me before walking out of the cafeteria while furiously rubbing her eyes. I sat there, holding in all my emotions and tears that were threatening to burst out any second, chest heaving harshly as my throat burned and ached.

Snatching the envelope she gave me, I ran outside to let it all out when it became overwhelming.

Sobbing, bawling, wheezing and choking on my tears, I kept hitting my chest as I felt my heart breaking into millions of shattered pieces.

I couldn't believe that she was leaving me like this...

I didn't want to.

🌹🌹🌹

I stopped before the main entrance of the police department, staring blankly at the door handle.

I couldn't walk in.

I couldn't bring my hand up to hold the handle.

Every muscle in my body twitched in pain, losing strength and the will to do anything. How was I going to start working like this?

"Lyn?"

I turned around to see my uncle walking up to me. I couldn't force a smile.

"Why aren't you going in?" He stepped up next to me and looked over my state. "You're not even wearing your uniform. Is... something wrong?"

Just a hint of concern from him and the tears came back as I crashed into him, catching him off guard.

"That annoying stupid girl who always scolds me when I did something wrong is leaving me! What should I do, uncle?! I can't live without her! I can't even do anything to cure that stupid illness! Why did it have to hurt my Rena?! Why her of all people?!"

Without saying anything, he just rubbed my back and held me tightly.

"That stupid curse, too! That's just too much! Why does she have to suffer for eternity?! I can't accept that..."

"Lyn," he whispered carefully, "let's sit down somewhere first and then you can vent all you want, okay?"

With a nod, I followed him to a nearby park and sat down on a bench. Since it was early in the morning, no person was seen around the area.

Uncle walked away somewhere and came back to hand me an ice cream.

I stared blankly at it, not moving.

"You like mint chocolate... You're not eating it?" He looked even more concerned now.

Not wanting to worry him further, I took it but didn't eat it.

He sat down beside me. "So, you're afraid that Rena is going to die? She's getting hospitalized, so there's a chance that she might survive, Lyn."

No, there isn't...

I shook my head, sniffling and rubbing my eyes. "She's dying."

He pulled me for a hug and gently caressed my head. "My dear, you have to have some faith. I know how much you love her... You two have been close since you were small."

Hearing such things, I was breaking down again. My head hurt from all the pain.

"Take the day off," he suggested. "I'll tell everyone that you're not feeling well today."

I nodded and closed my eyes when he placed a kiss on my head. "Thank you, uncle."

"It's the least I can do, my dear."

————————————————————
A/N: I really should give the uncle a name 😂 but I can't find a suitable name so imma leave it like it is lol

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹