10. The Baby

Elqenna

Mavvy makes sense about the rule. I should stop chasing but I shouldn't give up either. Ang sabi niya, 'wag kong banggitin ang pangalan ng kuya niya. At kung kaya ko, 'wag ko raw titingnan kapag nagsasalita. 'Yong parang walang pakialam talaga. Pero ang hirap din talaga e. But, I was obliged to do it because the consequence kind of scared me.

"What if I fail? What if I mention his name? What if I can't stop talking about him?"

"You will know once you do,"makahulugang tugon niya.

"Fine. Pero pwede ba'ng umiyak muna buong araw? Pag-usapan siya buong araw?"

"Hmm. I'm all ears."

Bumalik ako sa paghiga at binalikan ang mga masasayang araw na kasama ko ang kapatid niya.

***

Naglalakad na ako palabas ng campus para umuwi. Hindi ko na hinintay si Raphie kasi may practice sila sa cheerleading squad; my bestfriend is the captain. She's all talents, beauty and wits; full-package. On the other hand, everyone would say I'm a snob, mean, over-dramatic and the like. They hate me for not making a lot of friends. Ganito ako e, kapag nahanap ko na 'yong gusto ko, hindi na ako naghahanap ng iba. I applied that to the people I want to be with. Nandiyan na naman si Raphie so bakit pa ako maghahanap ng ibang kaibigan.

"Elqenna!"a girl shouted, approaching me. She has a little box in her hands which in my conjencture is a box of something sweet. It could be a cupcake. "May nagpapabigay. Secret-admirer mo yata."

"Thank you."

"Ah, ano. Bilin no'ng nagpabigay, buksan mo daw agad,"aniya nang umakma akong aalis na dala ang box.

"O—okay."

It took me minutes to open it because I was extra-cautious it might fall. The box popped open and revealed me a disgusting frog looking at me. While I was squealing, everyone looking at me were laughing their asses off. I was about to cry at their meanness, thinking that I was never like that to them. I would never ever do that to anyone.

"Moe— What happened?" Raven asked who just came on time.

The students stopped laughing, they were shocked to see Raven hugging me. With that as a comfort, I held and blinked the tears back. I didn't cry. I was even happier they did it to me because I always dream of playing the role of a damsel-in-distress being saved by her  knight-in-shining-armour.

"Make sure I won't catch whoever did this to my girlfriend,"banta niya sa lahat.

In that exact moment, I was sure. There isn't going to be anybody else that I'm spending my whole life with aside from him. Ang dami kong pangarap na tinutupad niya—from the silliest ones to my greatest dreams.

***

It was so sweet. He's always like that in my life. He pursued me for a year and we were officially in a relationship for another year. Then, things turned upside-down because he changed drastically; I didn't foresee it coming. I didn't know he was slowly turned off by the way I act, by being who I am. It hurts so much thinking about it now. It's like he's telling me to be another person so that he can love me again. It's unfair.