16. First Date

Elqenna

My forehead creased as I closely watched  his reaction. There was no shift of emotion on his face. He didn't even look surprised.

"I'm sorry,"he apologized instead after a minute or two of his maintained silence.

What does that mean? Is he going to hate me? Nagsimulang mamuo ang luha sa mga mata ko sa isiping iyon. Ngunit agad naman niyang pinunasan 'yon nang tuluyang bumagsak ang mga luha sa'king mata.

"Why are you crying?" he even asked, his voice gentle and coated with concern.

"Do you hate me?"

He nodded. It didn't look serious but it made me cry more tears. I felt like I'm a criminal for fooling people.

"Mrs. Macmillan, ano ka ba? Lagi ka nalang walang tiwala sa'kin. Sinabi ko na ng paulit-ulit. I will never hate you. Hindi parin ba malinaw sa'yo?"

"Then what's that sorry for?"

He sighed before opening his mouth, "How about you, Frap? Will you hate me?"

"Always?"sagot kong nagpatawa ng bahagya sa kanya.

"Elqenna Blair, seryoso ako. Magagalit ka rin ba sa'kin?"

"Siguro pero alam mo naman kung paano ako aluin e."

That made him smile—the favorite smile of mine that reaches up to his eyes.

"Okay," he hissed. He cupped my chin with his thumb. "Baby, I know that you're not pregnant."

"What?"hindi makapaniwalang bulalas ko.

Para akong binuhusan ng malamig na tubig sa sinabi niya. Totoo ba? Kaya ba wala siyang karea-reaksiyon kanina? Alam niyang nagsisinungaling ako?

"But how?"

"I just know."

"Pwede ba 'yon? Nalaman mo lang? Tsk. Mavvy, ba't mo alam?"

"My instinct told me just by judging how innocent you are and I confirmed it the night I rushed you to the hospital. Do you remember that time you sneaked my car out of the garage and crashed it?" Tumango ako ng paulit-ulit. "I asked the doctor about the baby. The CT scan was already done that time. And the doctor was sure you're not pregnant. He double-checked too."

"But why didn't you tell me?"

"Why would I?"he asked back, making me annoyed.

"Mavvy."

"Why do you always ask the obvious, Blair?"

"Mavvy, some things can be obvious to you but are not to me,"naiinis na wika ko.

"I don't want you to leave. I like you to stay longer in the house."

I wished I didn't ask because now I just found myself in a more vague and complex situation. I couldn't even distinguish what's this weird thing I'm feeling. Something cold was running through my veins. My heart was thudding like crazy. I don't really understand.

"Frappie?"

Para maitago sa kanya ang mukha ko, niyakap ko nalang siya. Nasa ganoong ayos lang kami hanggang sa binitawan ko siya.

"Maiintindihan mo rin. Sa ngayon, hayaan na muna nating maghilom ang sugat sa puso mo. Ayoko munang guluhin ka," makahulugang wika niyang nagpakunot ulit ng noo ko.

"Ano'ng ibig mong sabihin?"

"Frappie, stop asking. You're starting to annoy me."

"Fine."