24

Despite everything, she still made his heart flutter. But one thing was different; the hurt that came after the butterflies was strong and heavy, and it stayed much longer and hit much harder than the happiness ever would.

"I need a drink." Tae muttered to himself, swinging his legs over the side of the bed and sitting there for a moment, thinking of all the times Kayu had walked into this room, how many times she had snuggled up to his chest under these very sheets...

No. He wiped his runny nose with the sleeve of his hoodie, stood upright and swayed a little before continuing on to the front door. I don't need this. I'm getting over her.

He walked out onto the street, temperatures dropping quickly as the sun slowly fell, painting the sky gold in its path. He shivered against the breeze, contemplating whether or not to go out alone, especially if he was going to down some hard liquor. Tae pulled his phone from his pocket.

Today, 7:04am

Taehyung:
hey man, want to come get a drink with me?

Hoseok:
sure, where at?

Taehyung:
the place like ten minutes from my house

Hoseok:
cool, should I start heading there now?

Taehyung:
yep, I'll meet you there ❤️

Hoseok:
❤️

~

Yoongi had gone home early in the morning with a sore ass and a full heart, Hoseok dropping him at his apartment building on the way to work and leaving the older swooning, but quite unable to sit down.

Maya had called him just before twelve, asking if he'd be up for helping her decorate her new place. As a master of procrastinating his work, Yoongi said yes and spent the whole day hanging curtains and shifting furniture in Maya's tiny new apartment.

Only as the sun began to dip below the horizon did they finish their task, finally rewarding themselves with a takeout delivery and a chat by the big living room window, strips of gold and shadow cast across the floorboards.

"We kinda snapped with this," Maya admired her stylish living room as she slurped up her noodles. "Thanks a heap for helping me out."

"No worries, it was fun," Yoongi said, not looking up from his bowl. "Besides, I really didn't want to work today, so you gave me a fresh excuse that Namjoon can't curse at me for."

"That's a plus," she giggled. "You know what else was fun? Seeing you after this long. And my place is looking pretty tight now, too."

"It was nice hanging out again." Yoongi nodded with a smile.

"I missed you a lot." Maya sighed, resting her head on his shoulder.

It took Yoongi a moment to reply as guilt flowed through him. "I'm sorry I left."

"No, it was for the best," She said, sounding not sad but understanding. "You needed it, and I did too. I was so caught up in our relationship that I had no intent of going to music school or anything. I needed that kick to be independent. Besides, that was a long time ago. We're both old now, it's been too long to keep worrying about it when neither of us are still stuck."

"I couldn't have said it better." Yoongi smiled softly, sitting in comfortable silence with Maya still lying against him, both of them eating noodles and watching the last of golden hour fade into twilight.