Chapter 31

{Carrie's POV}

We get to the store and we begin to start grocery shopping.

"Okay, let's make a deal. If you two girls take Brantley with you around the store, you can get whatever you want while I get what I need." I suggest.

"Whatever we want?" Abby asks.

"Yes, whatever you want. I don't care if you fill two carts full of ice cream and cookies. Just make sure we can for it in our fridge and cabinets." I laugh.

"See ya!" Abby says excitingly, taking Brantley and taking off with Hannah.

"Good god, what did I just do." I laugh at myself.

I have two young girls to roam around a grocery store with my baby. Worse part, I told them to get whatever they wanted to.

I go down the dairy isle and grab milk, yogurt, cheese, cream cheese, and a few other things.

"Carrie?" I hear a voice.

The mans voice sounds so familiar to me. It's like I know him. I turn around to see the man who called my name.

"Mike." I manage to get out.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I'm great. The kids are great. We are all great." I said, choking on my words.

"That's good to hear Care." He tells me.

"No, you call me Carrie now." I respond.

"Okay..." He said.

"So how are you doing?" I asked him.

"Good actually." He responded to my question.

"Have you met anyone?" I questioned.

"Well..." He tried to say until I cut him off.

"Forget I asked." I told him.

"What have the kids been up to?" He asked.

"The usual, but happy." I rubbed in.

"Can I see them?" He asks me.

"I came here to shop. Not to chat." I said trying to exit the conversation.

"You didn't answer me Care." He says.

"My answer is no." I said sternly walking away.

I looked behind me as I walked away from Mike. He just stared at me. Me saying no to him about seeing his kids, broke his heart. I knew it did, badly. But I was so selfish, that I didn't care what he was thinking and if he was hurt.

I guess I was just trying to keep my babies safe from getting hurt. But as I walked away, I thought to myself, what if they were hurt more from not having a father around? What if is all they wanted was a family again? Being selfish wasn't alway a good thing.

"Dad?!" Abby called out with a smile.