CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"Hey uhm, let's practice for the competition after school today?" Jiyong asked me while I was arranging my books in the locker.

"Oh, sorry I can't. I will go hanging out with Donghae." I said without looking at him. It's a lie.

He sighed and said, "Are you kidding me? The competition will be held 2 weeks from now. We are going to represent Seoul! And now you want to spend time with your new boyfriend?"

I smashed the locker closed. Everyone was looking at me and Jiyong looked shocked.

He was about to say something when I quickly cut him off, "I don't care about the damn competition. I participate in it just because you want me to. Plus, he's not my boyfriend."

"You don't care but I do care! Please cooperate!" he said, almost yelling. I rolled my eyes and said, "Look, I don't want to fight with you because I'm tired. Fine, let's start practicing tomorrow. Let's use the school's music room."

Before he could say something, suddenly I saw Donghae strolling down the hallway.

I faked my smile and with a cute tone, I called Donghae and ran towards him. He looked shocked but after he noticed that Jiyong was looking at us, he played along.

He put his arm around my shoulders and we both walked together. I could sense Jiyong's eyes were burning, but I don't care.

As soon as we reached the stairs, I moved away from Donghae. He smirked and said, "You don't want to love me back and now you're using me to make your ex-boyfriend jealous?"

"Shut up Donghae." I said, feeling annoyed. He laughed and said, "Whatever. Do what you want to me"

I climbed up the stairs with a heavy feeling. I hate myself right now. This was so not me.

I have 0 mood to go to class today but I need to go because during the time when I dated Jiyong, I often skipped classes.

In order to keep my reputation so that I could enter college, I stepped into the classroom.

Both Taeyeon and Suzy approached me and helped me to get to my seat. I laughed and said, "What's happening?"

"Nothing, we just feel sorry for you! You've been through a lot since the past few days." said Suzy. I smiled and hugged them tightly.

"Let's hang out together after school! It's been so long since the last time we spend our time together because we were to busy with our boyfriends. Lol." said Taeyeon with an annoyed look.

"You're lucky enough to still have a boyfriend, Taeyeon." I said sincerely. They looked at me nervously.

I turned around and saw Kiko and Jiyong were chatting together. Jiyong looked more happy when talking to Kiko.

Suzy rolled her eyes and said, "Duh, aren't she supposed to be in her class right now? Why she is still here?"

Suddenly, I saw some girls calling Kiko at the back door, probably telling her that the teacher has almost arrived at their class.

Kiko stood and hugged Jiyong before going to her friends. Taeyeon said, "Did they actually hug? This is school, for God's sake. I hate them."

"Why are you guys overreacting? He was once my boyfriend, not yours." I said and laughed. Suzy snapped my arm and said, "And he hurt our bestfriend. We could never forgive him."

I smiled. I was so glad I have them as my bestfriends.

Taeyeon asked, "So, how about the competition?" I sighed and said, "We're going to start practicing tomorrow."

"Why you agree with him anyway?" Suzy asked, curious.

Because no matter how much I hate him, as a human, I could never ignore the fact that he got cancer.

What if this was his last chance?

But of course, I could not say this out loud to them. So I just smiled and secretly took a glance at Jiyong.

He looked so tired and...alone. I wanted to approach him, to ask him if he's okay.

But thinking of what he had done to me, no thank you. He was not alone. He had Kiko, his dad and his aunt and uncle.

I wonder if Kiko knew he had cancer?

---------------------------------------------------------

The next day, when I entered the music room, I saw Jiyong was sketching something on his notebook. I never knew he loved sketching.

He saw me and gave me his warm smile. 'Stop smiling or I'll fall in love with you all over again.' I said to myself.

He put his things in his bag. I said, "Let's just practice 3 times. I don't think we need to practice that much, as we're gonna sing the same song like before."

"I know you also don't want to see me often, right?" He said. I quickly said, "Yeah, I can't believe that I'm still stuck with you even after we broke up."

He looked hurt, which made me felt guilty for only 3 seconds. He had hurt me even more so he deserved this.

"Ok, should we start now?" I said. He looked at me and said, "Instead of practicing, can we talk about us?"

"What's left to talk? You're happy with Kiko now. I saw the way you looked at her, you look much more happy compared when you were with me." I said.

Before he could say anything, I continued, "Can we just practice? The more we talk, the more I hate you. You pretend like you don't know your mistake."

He sighed and smashed his fist onto the table. I jumped back, shock with his action. I quickly said, "You don't deserve to be mad. You're the one who hurt me."

"Can you please shut up and listen to me first?" He said. He looked furious but I don't care. I said, "If you don't love Kiko, you will never dare to date her after we broke up."

"It's like you wait for the time we broke up so that you can date her."

"Dara yaaa~~~ We're still young. We barely know about love. I was confused with my own feelings. But after spending my time with Kiko, I finally realise that I love you more." Jiyong said.

I rolled my eyes and said, "Whatever. I don't even freaking care about your cancer. The next time we practice, please just practice. I want for these two weeks to be over."

"After this competition, let's act as strangers." I said and left without waiting for his answer.

As soon as I reached the parking lot, I leaned against a car and patted myself while saying, "You did great, Sandara Park."