Chapter 11-- Grilling and Chilling

Chapter 11- Grilling and Chilling

I finish my cigarette and flick it into the bucket on the corner of the porch.  I hear Norman come out the door and I turn to look at him.  He’s got his shirt on again and is carrying my crutches.  Ugg!  I hate those damn things.  He gives me a look like I’ve been a bad kid.  I shrug and reach out for the crutches.  I take them from him and lean them on the railing.  Norman pulls his cigarettes out of his back pocket and lights one up.  I pull one out of my pack on the railing and put it to my lips.  I grab my zippo and light it.  Norm exhales and looks at me, “You hate those crutches hmm?”  I stare at the railing and shrug my shoulders, “I’m not a fan, but I mostly I hate being helpless.”  “Stubborn girl, huh?” he asks.  “I’m a redhead, what did you expect?” I answer in a sassy tone.  He just shakes his head and takes another drag of his cig. He reaches over and puts his arm around my waist pulling me against his side. We quietly finish our cigarettes and listen to the quiet woods around us.

We go back inside and I behave and use the crutches.  I go to the kitchen and start rummaging through my boxes.  “What are you looking for Jenna?” Norman asks.  “Food, I need to figure out something, it’s getting late.” I mumble.  “Don’t worry, I have it covered” he says as he heads for the fridge.  I watch him open it up and pull open the bottom drawer.  He pulls out a package of steaks and sets it on the counter.  “You brought dinner?” I look over at him surprised.  “Well I noticed that you didn’t have anything and these were in my fridge.  I was going to cook them last night but I got sidetracked” He explained.  “You cook?” I asked.  “Not really but I can manage to throw a steak on a grill.  Do you cook?” he says.  “Oh Hell yeah I cook.  You name it I can cook it!” I say proudly.  He smiles looking excited, “awesome! I like to eat.”  I tell him I will gladly cook for him once I stock my cabinets.  He just smiles and heads outside to light the grill.

We have a quiet dinner of steak and pasta salad (which Norman also brought).  We talk about various things getting to know each other a little more.  “So tell me, what is your guilty pleasure?  Everyone has one” he suddenly asks.  Surprised I counter back, “What’s yours?” He leans forward, “I asked you first, darling.”  I look at him and then down at my hands, “Country music.”  He laughs, “Really?  I would have never guessed in a million years.”  I chuckle, “Yeah, most people don’t know. So how about you?” “Honestly it’s chocolate. I love it.  I usually have some everyday.” He admits.

  We clean up the dinner dishes and settle down on the couch to relax.  I snuggle into Norm’s chest and put my legs over his lap.  He looks down at my bare bruised leg.  The bruising is much darker than yesterday.  It was not very sexy looking at all.  He kisses the top of my head and whispers into my hair, “Tell me it looks worse than it feels.”  I nod my head, “It actually isn’t too bad unless I touch it.  My hip joint aches quite a bit, but the leg isn’t that bad at all.  The bruising is so dark you can’t even see my tattoo.”  He looks at my leg again and shakes his head, “There’s a tattoo under that?”  “Oh Yeah, it’s about 4 inches long at the top of my outer ankle.  It’s a bunch of Forget-Me-Nots with a ribbon around them and my kids names on the ribbon.  Simple but pretty.  I hope it heals and doesn’t do any damage to the tatt” I sigh.  “Is that your only tattoo?” He’s looking me over trying to figure out if I have more.  “I have a few more, I’m surprised you didn’t find them already.  You’ll have to find them yourself later,” I smirk.  “Is that a challenge?” he says cracking a grin.  “Maybe, mostly it’s just easier for you to see them, then for me to explain what they are.” I state.  “Fair enough,” he says kissing my cheek.  We turn on the TV and relax a little, it’s been a long day.

 I must have nodded off because I wake up as Norman is picking me up and carrying me down the hallway.  He carries me into my bedroom and I notice that he’s made the bed.  He lays me down on the bed.  “Do you want me to stay?” he quietly says to me.  I nod my head and yawn, “I’m sorry I fell asleep, it’s not exactly what I had planned for the evening.”  He smiles and says, “It’s been a long day, we both need to sleep.”  I decide I’m not sleeping in my shorts and after the events from earlier in the evening, I shuck off my shorts to sleep in my tank top and panties.  Fuck it! He’s had his hands all over most of my body, so why be modest.  Norman is on the other side of the bed taking off his shirt and jeans, just leaving me to stare at him in his boxer briefs.  Lord have Mercy!  He looks so damn good.  He slides in next to me and pulls me to him, being careful of my leg.  He tilts my head up and softly kisses me, “Good night, sweetheart.”  I smile and whisper, “Sweet dreams, Norm.”  He holds me a little tighter and I nuzzle myself into his body.  As I drift off to sleep, I think that being pressed up against Norman is the world’s best place to be.