Chapter 34--Conquering My Fears

Chapter 34—Conquering My Fears

**sexual content at end of chapter

We walk into the Midtown Tavern about 8:30pm and see Michael, Jon and Lauren at a table.  We sit down and soon are joined by Andy, Melissa, Steven, Greg, Emily, and Eulyn.  We order a round of drinks and look at the menu.  Norman orders the Prime Tri-Tip and I order the Midtown Burger.  The girls decide to go to the bathroom and drag me along.  I guess there is something to women going to the restroom in herds. 

Once in the bathroom it’s like some crazy high school moment complete with giggling, make-up and girl talk.  I find out that tonight is Karaoke night and the girls are planning to let loose.  They are discussing songs and pairing up for Karaoke duets.  I remain quiet and just run a comb through my hair.  Lauren looks over to me, “Jenna are you going to sing some Karaoke with us tonight?”  I bite my bottom lip and turn back to the mirror, “Umm, I don’t think so.”  Lauren smiles into the mirror and says, “You can’t sing that bad, I pretty much suck but we all have fun doing it.  Hell even Norm will sing if he’s had enough whiskey.”  I laugh and turn around, realizing that everyone is now paying attention to Lauren and I.  I let out a long sigh, “I can sing just fine.  I just can’t sing in front of people.  Crowds make me too nervous.”  Emily pipes up, “I get nervous every time I sing too.  It’s a great adrenaline rush though.  Just focus on a person you know or concentrate on the song.  If you pick a song that you love, it will come out naturally.”  Eulyn puts a hand on my shoulder, “I’ve heard you sing at work, you have a lovely voice.  I hope that you will give karaoke a try.”  I smile and let out a deep breath, “I will think about it girls, no promises.  I think I will need a few drinks in me.”  They all laugh and agree that they plan on knocking back a few drinks before hitting the stage too.

Once back at the table I sit down and see a drink waiting for me.  I smile as I realize he ordered me a Patron on the rocks with lime.  I take a sip and savor the taste, noticing Norman watching me, “Yes Norm?”  He reaches out and pushes one of my stray curls back, “Just watching you enjoy your drink.  Did you girls enjoy your bathroom pow-wow?”  I giggle, “I guess.  You know that it’s some unwritten law that women must go in groups.”  He laughs, “Yeah, us men have never understood that."  I nod, “Honestly we just apply make-up and compare our men’s penis sizes.  I won the comparison contest tonight, thanks babe!”  He about chokes on his beer, “You are completely kidding right?”  I laugh, “Yes silly!  I wouldn't actually do that.”  He starts laughing, “You had me going there for a minute.”  I lean over and give him a quick kiss, “I just love freaking you out sometimes, you know that?”  He groans, “Yeah, I’m beginning to figure that out about you.”  I just give him my best shit eaten grin and raise my glass, “Here’s to keeping you on your toes, babe!”  He raises his glass and just laughs.

Our waitress brings the dinner and more drinks.  We all talk and laugh, everyone telling me stories about past conventions and on set pranks.  I laugh until my sides hurt.  Norman and I share a piece of chocolate cake for dessert.  After dinner the girls go to the bathroom but Norman and I duck outside to smoke. 

I light my cigarette and hand my lighter to Norman.  He lights his and flips the lighter around in his hand, “I may have to steal your Zippo, it has a better feel to it than mine.”  I reach out and take it back, “I don’t think so, this is my baby.  I love this lighter.”  I put it in my back pocket and reach out, taking Norman’s sunglasses off his face.  He doesn’t stop me but gives me a puzzled look.  I look him in the eyes and softly say, “Just let me look at your eyes for a few minutes and I’ll give them back, I promise.”  He raises an eyebrow at me, “Do they bother you that much?”  I give him a little smile, “Not really, I understand why you wear them all the time.  It’s just that I love your blue eyes and I haven’t seen much of them lately.”  He nods and pulls me in for a kiss.  His lips are soft and tender, I love the way he kisses.  He pulls away and looks me in the eyes, “I haven’t seen much of yours either.  I love your green eyes, especially when you’re happy because they sparkle.”  I smile, “They must sparkle all the time because you make me happy.”  He hugs me and I give him his Ray Bans back.  We finish our cigarettes and he puts on the sunglasses as we head back in the tavern.