Chapter 57--Discharged?

Chapter 57—Discharged?

7am Wednesday July 30, 2014

Jenna’s POV

I wake up to the nurse checking my blood pressure.  I swear they come in every couple of hours and do this.  If it wasn’t for the morphine I probably wouldn’t have gotten any sleep at all.  I look over to my other hand and realize Norman is holding on tight.  He’s asleep in the recliner, his hair all tousled.  The nurse speaks to me in a hushed tone, “Sorry for waking you.  How are you feeling?”  I speak quietly so I don’t wake Norman, “I’m feeling okay, a bit sore but other than that, pretty good overall.”  She nods and smiles, “That’s good to hear.  Your vitals have been strong and steady too.  He’s been worried about you, ya know.  All of us nurses wish we had a man who was that sweet and caring.  You’re a lucky woman.”  I smile at her, then glance over at a still sleeping Norman before answering, “Yes I am.  He’s as close to perfect as they come.”  She smiles, “The Cardiac specialist will be to see you in a couple of hours.  Your breakfast will be here around eight.  Relax until then.  If you need to use the restroom just buzz us or ask him to help you. No going alone, okay?”  I nod as I tell her, “I will.  Thank you.” 

She walks out of my room and I turn my attention back to my sleeping boyfriend.  He’s snoring lightly and I smile.  The poor man looks exhausted, yet still hot as hell.  Even with the pain I’m in, I have to admit jumping his bones has crossed my mind.  The dirty thoughts that I have when I look at him are never ending, I swear I’ll never grow tired of him.  I just stare at him for a while, letting my mind wander.  At some point I softly start humming the tune in my head.  I softly sing the lyrics, mostly to myself.

Highway run into the midnight sun
Wheels go 'round and 'round, you're on my mind
Restless hearts sleep alone tonight
Sendin' all my love along the wire

They say that the road ain't no place to start a family
Right down the line it's been you and me
And lovin' a music man ain't always what it's supposed to be
Oh, girl you stand by me, I'm forever yours, faithfully

Circus life under the big top world
We all need the clowns to make us smile
Through space and time, always another show
Wondering where I am lost without you

And bein' apart ain't easy on this love affair
Two strangers learn to fall in love again
I get the joy of rediscovering you
Oh girl, you stand by me, I'm forever yours, faithfully

Oh...

Faithfully, I'm still yoooooooooooours....
I'm forever yours, ever yoooooooooours....
Faithfully

As I get to the second verse I notice he’s awake, just quietly listening to me sing.  I look into his eyes as I sing, putting my feelings and unspoken emotions into the words.  He smiles at me and squeezes my hand.  I softly finish the song and give him a small smile before I talk, “Good morning, Pookie.”  He just chuckles, “Morning sweetheart, feeling better?”  I flash him a sassy look, “Who the hell knows, I’m high as shit!”  He busts out laughing, “You’re a trip, girl!”  I grin, “Actually I’m just messing with ya!  I’m feeling a little better than yesterday.  I’m still probably a little high though.”  He shakes his head still laughing at me, “I never grow tired of your sense of humor.  You definitely keep me laughing.”  I give him a smirk, “Good cause you’re so stuck with me Norman!”  He brings my hand to his mouth and kisses the back of it, before answering, “Fine with me babe.”