3. dreamy (ja)

i skipped out the door of my high school, not looking back. it was the start of summer vacation, and i was so done with the stresses school gave me.

i had only a few friends, not too many, but real, true, friends. they were the type of friends you'd find in 80's movies; crazy, but loyal.

i'd been through so many adventures that year, oh god, so many.

i'd been through three different failed relationships, with guys who i told myself loved me, until two of them cheated on me, and one moved to san francisco.

but, i was happy alone, i didn't mind.

until i met jack.

i practically flew into my sister's car, which was more like a truck to me. i'd had some good times in that car; singing with the windows down and things like that.

as opened the door to the passenger seat, i saw that my seat was taken by a short extremely curly-haired boy, reading a magazine about skateboarding.

"excuse me?" i said, trying to get his attention. the noodle-haired boy didn't budge, and after several tries, i tapped on his shoulder, and practically pulled his magazine away from him.

"this is my seat," i said, as he finally looked up at me.

he didn't smile, or emote in any sort of way. it was kinda hot, actually, now that i'm thinking about it.

he just said plainly, with no feeling in his voice, "i've been sitting here since 9 in the morning. i think this seat's taken...erm...what's your name?"

"jack avery, meet my sister, y/n."

jack. little did i know that i'd be getting to know that name better than i ever could have expected.

i stick my hand out to shake his, comically, but he takes it and shakes my hand like i'm being serious.

i finally give in, and pile into the backseat.

"jack and his band are staying at aunt lily's villa for a little bit of the summer, and she wanted me to drive jack to rehearsal after i picked you up."

my aunt lily owned a beautiful little cottage by the sea about 30 minutes away from the sleepy town that i lived in. frankly, i wish i could have gone with him. her villa was beautiful, and i was jealous that these boys got to stay there for a while.

"it's beautiful there, isn't it, y/n?" i hear jack chirp from the front seat, "dreamy, like something you'd see in an old movie."

my heart feels strange. jack, who's suddenly become conversational has played my heartstrings like a fiddle, with his "dreamy" views on my aunt's villa. the way he talked about it, it was like he was in a dream, alright.

hearing him talk about something beautiful made my heart skip a beat.

he made my heart skip a beat.

"yeah, he's...i mean, it's gorgeous," i say, almost face palming because of my stupidity. did i almost just reveal my feelings towards him? god, i really was bad at love.

he turns around, looking at me with his chestnut eyes. his eyes are so dreamy, no pun intended. they look like they view the world as a dream, the way an artist would.

"do you skateboard?" he asks plainly, with the same tone that i first heard him speak in.

"i've always wanted to try, but no, i've never skateboarded," i say, sighing. it was the truth; i'd love to try some day.

"why don't you come with me to the skate park nearby your aunt's place tomorrow? i can teach you a few things, if you'd like," he says, smiling brightly.

i had totally forgotten that a couple blocks away from my aunt's villa, there was a tiny skate park by the sea. it was rusty and old, but with jack there, i don't think it would matter.

i happily accept his offer, and little did i know, it'd be one of the best decisions of my life.

but we'll get to that later. for now, let's talk about the car ride home.

we talked the entire time, and i learned a few things about jack.

his band, why don't we, was headlining the summer festival held in my town, which had been yet to be announced, and i promised him i'd listen to a few songs in time for the performance.

he also told me about his bandmate, zach herron, who, from what i heard about him, sounded like quite a character. i wanted to meet him so badly; he seemed like the type of guy who anyone could get on with well.

secondly, jack took skateboarding seriously, and really did want to teach me. it was at that moment that i realized this was how i would get closer to him, through something i wanted to learn, and something he loved.

and last but not least, we spent most of the car ride talking about his hair.

"it's a perm?" i asked, laughing.

"yes, y/n," he says, laughing back, "it's a perm and i love it, so, ha!" he says, grinning, as we both burst into laughter.

"it actually fits you very well," i say, as we quiet down.

his cheeks blush, and i find that i do too.

but soon, we arrive at the villa.

the air smells like sea salt, and i love it. i've missed the atmosphere of this coastal area. no stress, just relaxation. my sanctuary.

there's a tour bus in the driveway, and i can hear music blasting within the opened windows. i guess the rehearsal's inside the bus, from the voices of the four boys i hear screaming inside.

"i'll see you tomorrow at the skate park, y/n?" he asks, before thanking my sister for driving him and getting ready to head to the bus.

"see you at 11," i say, watching him leave with a smirk.

he suddenly turns around quickly, running back to grab his magazine, which he forgot. i go to hand it to him, but our hands accidentally touch. his hand is warm and smooth, and i'm attracted to him more than i had been the whole car ride now.

we lock eyes, and the world stops. it's just us two, in our own dreamy little world, until we're interrupted by screams from the bus.

"come on jack!" i hear someone scream from the bus. we part, as i watch him yell back at the voice and disappear back into the bus.

i can't see the face of the voice, but i guess that it's zach or one of his bandmates.

as we drive away, i think i can see the outline of his hair through the shadows of the windows, and i chuckle to myself.

he was dreamy.

being with him was like being in a dream.

i leave thinking that tomorrow can't come soon enough, and i can't wait to see him again.

this summer was going to be memorable.

hi guys!! i was wondering if you'd maybe like to see a part two to this? i might write it for fun anyway hahahah xx