23. outcast (ja)

i didn't want to be here.

i looked around in the cafeteria as unfamiliar faces all laughed and smiled, chatting with each other like they'd known each other for years even though they'd just met.

this was high school...nobody makes friends that fast...right?

nobody makes friends that fast.

at least not with me...

this was my first year at cole academy. i was a sophomore with a lunch tray in her hand, and every worry in the world on her mind.

i needed an escape.

i ran down the halls, tears brimming in my eyes as i eventually found and open door and went in. it was mostly dark, like being on a beach at midnight. not completely dark, but hard to see. i noticed the iridescent fairy lights strung around the ceiling. they reminded me of the ones in my bedroom in my jersey shore beach house. they, well, gave me comfort and reminded me off a time where i wasn't crying in the dark. i sat down in a corner, as silver tears rolled down my porcelain skin.

i sat there and cried for a little, thinking over my future at this high school. i didn't know anyone; everyone had already made friends. nobody came up to me, trying to start a conversation.

"they treated me like an outcast."

"i know, me too."

my heart starts to race. where exactly am i? who was that?

out of nowhere, the lights flipped on, and i could see the room i was in.

the music room.

sitting on a stool with an acoustic guitar in his lap was a short boy with curly dirty blonde hair that stretched over his eyes. he wasn't smiling, but he was looking at me.

he may have not looked like a prince charming, but i had a feeling he would be.

"i can feel so alone at this place. it's super cliquey, you know," he said, blowing a piece of his hair out of his face.

"tell me about it," i said, laughing softly to myself.

"alright, i'll tell you then," he said, speaking in a deeper tone as i walked closer to him. "this place is filled with cheaters, jerks, fakers, mean girls, whatever you wanna call them. if you've heard of any high school stereotype, they're all here."

i was screwed.

"it can't be that bad, right?"

"oh, it's hell, baby."

i smiles at him, as he looked down at his shoes sheepishly.

"i'm y/n," i said, smiling softly.

"jack avery," he said, smirking in an almost mocking fashion.

that was how i met jack robert avery. throughout the years of my high school experience at cole academy, he was there for me as my closest friend.

until the day he became more than a friend...