38. just friends? pt. 2 (ja)

"jack?"

my voice echoes, trailing off through the studio.

it had been a week since i'd talked with daniel about jack's secret crush on me, and i wanted to tell him that i liked him too.

daniel, who had grown close to me just in the span of a week, had a clever plan to help us grow closer.

'meet me at the studios — i'll show you where to go find jack,' his text had read.

now that i was at the studios, i didn't know where to go at all.

i walked onto an empty stage, darkness surrounding me. i couldn't see anything other than the floor beneath me and a little shine where the stage ended.

"i met her on a monday evening..." i heard a voice begin to sing.

i turned around to see corbyn singing to me, with a stage light behind him. he winked at me knowingly, yet i was still wondering what this was all about.

"...and she said, 'hola, talk to me, before i have to leave...'"

what was this all about?

as corbyn finishes singing, jonah suddenly appears next to him, singing next.

"knew i was falling when i looked into your eyes..."

it was then that i started to see where this was going.

"she said, 'i know you are but what am i?'"

my eyes grew wide as daniel appeared in the middle of them, singing as well.

"tell me, have you seen a sunset turn into a sunrise, kiss right through the night?" i hear him sing.

i knew what this was all about.

as daniel finishes serenading me, zach then comes out from behind him and sings his part. jonah and daniel sing again, and at this point, i'm just smiling like an idiot, knowing what's coming.

"...and if i said i'm falling, would you just reply 'i know you are, but what am i?'"

daniel sings once more, as the second chorus ends and a familiar voice fills the darkness around me.

"tell me, have you seen a sunset turn into a sunrise, kiss right through the night?"

jack was singing now.

"cause we should try that sometime, hold you til the morning and if i said i said i'm falling, would you just reply?"

he motions for me to say the lyrics to him, as the boys harmonize around us.

"I know you are, but what am I?" i answer, as jack pulls me into a kiss, and the boys vocalize around us, singing as jack and i melt into each other, holding each other close.

as the song ends, i hear the boys laughing and cheering for us, and daniel winks at me knowingly.

"i'm sorry i never got to tell you that i liked you too, jack," i say, holding his hand.

"i think you just did," he laughs, pulling me into a kiss one more time.

i think i know what i am, now.