9. the new kid (cb)

"hello, class! today we have a new student joining us."

i looked up from my laptop and into the smiling face of my chemistry teacher. my eyes drifted to a blonde boy beside her, smiling brightly; like his smile was almost fake. but i could tell that it wasn't a fake smile; no, this boy was excited to learn; he was nearly jumping out of his shoes while his forest eyes soaked up the classroom.

"this is corbyn besson, from virginia," she says, as he gives a quick little wave, "i'm sure you'll all make him feel welcome here."

as he thanks my teacher, corbyn awkwardly moves down the rows of lab tables set up. i realize there's an empty seat next to me.

there's something about him that intrigues me. i want to know more about him; i really do. so, without any questions, i make eye contact with him and pat my seat gently.

corbyn's eyes light up as he trods to the chair on my right.

"thanks," he says, sticking out his hand to shake mine. i giggle softly and shake it. his hand is smooth and warm, and i'm almost comforted by his starry gaze. he's so damn charming, so likable. i'm an open person and quite the extrovert, and i got the same feel from corbyn.

"i'm y/n," i say, smiling sweetly. my cheeks heat up like a pool of magma, and i can tell i'm blushing.

i catch corbyn up on what we're learning in class and he figures it out quickly. he's whip smart and bright in his thinking; logical beyond compare. he was like a teenage thomas edison; so full of ideas.

soon, class is over, and my tired bones are barely able to move to english class.

"uh, y/n?" corbyn says, as we walk along the halls. "recalling my schedule, i think i have geometry right now. can you help me find it?" he takes my hand and squeezes it in pity. i laugh dramatically as i lead him through the halls, never letting go of his hand. i hear the whispers of my classmates as we whirl through the halls, but i really don't mind. i barely know corbyn, but i'm comfortable with him.

who cares if i'm being judged for helping the new kid in school?

soon, our little expedition ends, and corbyn's at geometry, two minutes late.

"i'd better get in; i wouldn't want to get detention on my first day!" he says, brushing his hair back with his long fingers.

"hey, i'd love to get to know you better over lunch," i say boldly.

"that makes both of us," he says, looking at the ground shyly.

i laugh to myself as we part ways. i hear his geometry teacher belittling him as he apologizes in a suave shakespearean style.

corbyn besson might be the new kid in school, but i feel like i've known him for years.

maybe i will.