29. go to him (cb)

"i hate this, corbyn. i can't stand to see him hurting."

her words are filled with emotion, and she's longing to go to him.

she's looking at zach, who is currently in the corner of the green room, rubbing his head in frustrated confusion and a tangled mix of sadness and anger.

y/n has been my closest friend for the longest time; i've known her since we were kids. but eventually, once we grew up, our feelings of friendship developed into more. at least, my feelings did. at one point, i didn't see her as my best friend, but as the beautiful girl with shimmering aquamarine eyes.

i loved her more than the stars.

but she was out of my orbit.

she had a thing for zach, my bandmate, and as much as i wanted her to be happy, it killed me inside.

zach's like a brother to me, and we're close. he definitely deserves a girl like her, but frankly, i just can't see them together. she's got the kindest heart i know, but i could never see her at the parties that zach goes to. on the other hand, zach's a free spirit and he's always down for a spontaneous adventure, but he wouldn't fit in at her book club she goes to every saturday morning.

it's such a shame that opposites attract.

i could tell he had a thing for her, and she would never shut up about how much she longed to be with him every time i saw her.

now, right here, was her opportunity.

zach's girlfriend of a month had broken up with him, and he needed someone to console him.

he needed her.

"corbyn, i need to talk to him," she says, turning to me.

i could stop this from happening if i told her how i felt.

i could.

but i didn't.

"go to him, y/n. he needs you," i say, kissing her forehead.

"i guess so," she says, smiling brightly at me.

that damn smile. she's had the same alive smile since kindergarten, and it's by far what i love most about her.

i guess zach needs that smile more than me.

i watch her walk over to him, as she taps on his shoulder and he falls into her arms.

they're the best match for each other and i know it.

i know it.

even though i wish i didn't.