26. goodbye (ds)

the sunlight cast a dusty lemon glow in the hallway, illuminating the marble floors. i turned behind me to see daniel seavey thumping down the velvet staircase behind me, with his guitar around his shoulder.

we had just finished a musical fundraiser at this beautiful mansion near the town daniel and i are from, and we were getting ready to leave for the night. we had both played guitar and sang; doing what we did best.

i had the privilege of being the girlfriend of one of the most compassionate and loving boys i've ever known, and i was never going to lose him. daniel always used to joke about us getting married, like we weren't 17 and still in school.

we were crazy, but we were crazy in love.

"let's go," he said, putting his arm around me as we left the hallway. the golden setting sun makes his blue eyes brighter, and more full of life, if possible.

as i looked into his marble blue eyes, i heard a voice from behind us.

"y/n?"

i stopped walking as daniel looked at me, confused. my eyes widened as my pulse quickened.

i used to know that voice.

i look at daniel, as if i'm telling him it's ok, and i slowly turn around.

the breathless figure of my ex-boyfriend stands in front of me. his face is wet; from sweat or tears, i cannot tell. in the light, i see him, not as he is now; older and rugged. i see him as i once loved him. a careless free spirit, still young and inspired. the boy i once loved, with a scar on his right cheek in the shape of a heart. all my emotions flip around as i think about all of the moments i shared with him. i loved him more than anyone, before daniel.

but reality comes back as soon as it left.

i look now, into his worn and tired eyes as he is now. once full of hope and excitement, now dull and forgetful.

"y/n..." his voice is deep and full of emotion, of longing. he's not the boy i once loved anymore, as painful as it sounds.

i look at the ground, unable to think. then my mind snaps back to daniel. sweet, loving daniel, who always cared for me no matter what happened. i belong with him, and i have no doubt of that. but suddenly, my mind thinks about the future i could have had with my ex.

but...it is no longer a future i want.

"goodbye," i say, clearly and plainly. i know he deserves someone, but that is not me anymore.

my heart belongs with the boy with the ocean blue eyes and the loving smile.

i turn around again, now smiling at daniel, and he takes my hand and we walk past the exit.

"y/n?" i turn around once more, a red velvet sorrow on my lips.

"goodbye."

i walk out of the mansion, a little spooked from this experience.

why was he there? why?

maybe it didn't matter.

"that will never happen with us, daniel, i promise," i say, holding his hand.

"i know," he says, kissing my cheek, "i love you so much, y/n."

"i love you too, daniel."