9. Mama knows best.

"Mama!" Mateo yelled out as he walked into his mother's house. "In the kitchen!" She yelled back as he made his way towards her. The smell of food engulfed his nostrils as his mouth watered at the thought of her cooking.

He walked in seeing some empanadas being made. "Hey mama," he smiled as he kissed her cheek. She turned returning a kiss to his. "Hi hijo. How are you?"

"Good," he responded as he took a seat. He was here to get his mother's advice and inform her of the news. "How's everything been with you?"

She nodded as she continued her cooking. "Good, good. Always happy to see you." He could hear the smile in her voice. He was her only child. She always wanted a lot of kids but she experienced many miscarriages and even a stillbirth, Mateo was her blessing and she loved him dearly. She always hoped he'd give her a lot of grandbabies. "How's everything with you?" She questioned back.

He sighed, "well mom. You'll be happy and disappointed all in one." She stopped what she was doing to turn and look at him, she picked up a fresh dish towel, wiping her hands on it. "I'm listening."

He let out a deep breathe as he looked at her. "So Sofia and I had broken up for a few days and I ended up sleeping with someone else," he was an open book with his mother. She was one the least judgmental people he knew, yet she would still get in his ass at the same time. "And the girl is now pregnant."

His mother widened her eyes, very surprised by his confession. "Mateo."

"I know mama, and I know it's mine for sure because we took an early test. And I don't know how I'm going to tell Sofia."

His mother crossed her arms, "well all babies are blessings and have a special purpose. So what was meant to happen, happened. Even if it was a stupid decision you made."

Mateo chuckled lightly as he shook his head and looked down for a moment, "how do I tell Sofia?" She shrugged her shoulders, "you just tell her, it happened when the two of you were broken up, it wasn't a smart decision, you don't want to lose her. But these are the consequences of your action."

His mother made it sound much easier than it actually was, he knew it wouldn't go that easy. His mother didn't understand how crazy his girlfriend could be. However, he knew he just had to come out with it and keep it real just like that, in due time though.

He nodded in response to her. "Yeah, I'll tell her sooner than later." He ran a hand down his face. "Whose the girl you got pregnant? What's she like? I hope she isn't one of those groupie girls Mateo." She said with slight disappointment. He shook his head no. "No, I honestly believe she didn't know anything about me being a baseball player."

She nodded her head as she went back to cooking, "that's good. How does she seem as a person?" He sighed, he really didn't know. He really couldn't say. She definitely didn't seem like a bad person and she was indeed a beautiful girl. But when it came to it, they knew nothing about each other. He didn't even know how old she was.

"I guess she seems okay," she has an attitude problem he thought. "Really can't say much, I don't know her."

"Well I think you should get to know her, especially since you two will have ties for years to come. And I want to meet her, of course. But I'll leave the timing up to you." She finished.

He nodded, she was right he needed to find out more about Jessica and who she was, especially since they were about to be raising a child together. He wasn't one of those people who were just going to throw money out at her to where it wouldn't matter, his mother wouldn't even let that go down.

They changed the subject as they talked about everything under the sun and ate. Once he headed out he decided to give Jessica a call. Last conversation they had was when he called her back a couple of days ago after having to hang up abruptly. She still had some attitude in her voice but he could tell she was getting over their last conversation that spiked the attitude.