37. Endings or new beginnings?

Mateo walked into Jessica's as she sat pumping breast milk, with what looked like to be a sleeping Kaiden in the bassinet beside her.

She looked his way speaking as he spoke back walking into the living room. He took a seat as he sighed, his eyes focused on the TV that she was focused on before getting straight to it. "I talked to X today."

Him saying that automatically reminded her that she never told him about their interaction. "I never got to tell you how I ran into him." She stated with ease. He nodded his head, already well aware. "Yeah, he told me though."

Jessica roller her eyes, "and what did he tell you?"

"He told me he apologized, explained some bullshit with your sister."

"Exactly, straight bullshit." She rolled her eyes as she responded. "But the question is, why didn't I hear it from you? Why did I hear it from him that the two of you ran into each other?" Mateo questioned.

She sighed, annoyed that he clearly felt a way about hearing it from X. "I planned on telling you that night you came in here with a pissy attitude. But since we really didn't talk it slipped my mind."

He nodded as he brought his hand to his chin. "You're not seriously upset about that?" She questioned as she turned off her breast pump, removing the flanges from her chest and looking at how much milk she had pumped.

He shook his head no, "just crazy as hell that I'm basically staying with you and I hear it from him." She rolled her eyes as she got up to transfer the milk from the bottles into a bag. "It wasn't purposeful Mateo."

He didn't respond as she finished up what she was doing and then turned around to face him. She crossed her arms as he kept his eyes placed on his phone. She walked towards him, "Mateo!"

He didn't move his head, but just his eyes to look at her for a split second as he waited for her to talk. She sighed as she took a seat. "I feel like we been at each other's neck, like what's up?" She questioned.

He locked his phone as he shook his head, "nothing, I'm good. What's up with you? You been at my neck." He stated with his eyes truly focused on her now.

She rolled her eyes not liking his response, but realizing it had some slight truth to it. Today was the only day he had came at her and it was with valid reasoning. She was going to blame it on her hormones, she just had a baby not too long ago. A lot was changing. "I haven't been at your neck."

He laughed, "or you just try to make anything an argument."

"I do not!" She argued back. He shook his head deciding not to say anything before it really turned into an argument.

She leaned back as she crossed her arms, her eyes on him. "To be real, I feel like you've been acting different as hell lately. Like you have this vibe that I'm not feeling. So if it seems like I've been at your neck I'm sorry. I'm just trying to understand what's up with you and you make that hard to do when you close me off."

He sighed, "it's just been a lot going on that I'm dealing with."

"See, you're closing me off." She let out.

"Because I don't want to talk about it? When I'm ready to talk about it I will."

"Then say that!" She said louder than she meant to.

"I have," he let out with a much calmer tone. "We're still learning each other and sometimes I don't like to talk about things that upset me until I feel like I'm okay to talk about it without becoming super angry about it."

"And how long does that take Mateo? It's been days, like I get it. But leaving me in the dark and acting a way is —"

"I'm not acting a way!" He cut in, "you feel like I'm acting a way because I never told you what happened and you want to know."