12. Tell her!

Mateo sat at his mother's house as she fixed him a plate of food. He'd been craving her asado. He loved when she cooked Argentinean food. It always made him want to go back, he vowed to take a trip there soon, back to his true roots. And he would definitely bring his child once they got older.

He licked his lips as he took in the assortment of barbeque. "Mama, this looks so good." She smiled as she took a seat in front of him, reaching for his hands to bless the food. Once that was done they both dug into their food. Conversation to a minimum until they were halfway through their meal.

"How's Jessica, is it?" She questioned unsure of the name of the mother of his child. He nodded his head as he chewed, speaking once he swallowed. "She's good, been having slight nausea. She thought it was weird it didn't hit her in the first trimester, but it's hitting her harder now. Other than that though I haven't heard any complaints."

She nodded, "that's good. I can make her some tea to curve that." She smiled. She still hadn't met her, but she was leaving it to her son's timing. He nodded, "she would probably love that." He paused as he took a sip of his drink. "I'm actually flying out there next week, we find out the gender. We thought we would find out when she was sixteen weeks, but the baby was covering itself. So we're hoping we'll find out this go round. Anyways, you want to come?"

She chuckled slightly, "you were stubborn like that too. I had to book an extra appointment for you. The last ultrasound is at 20 weeks, and I still didn't know what you were so I asked for an extra one," she shook her head. "But I would love to come."

"I'll get you a ticket." She took a sip of her tea. "Sofia know yet?" She raised one of her eyebrows in question.

He sighed, he was really stalling on telling her. Jessica was in her second trimester at this point and he'd yet to mention it. He just didn't know how. He shook his head no, not making eye contact with his mother.

She shook her head in disappointment. "Hijo, the longer you wait the worse it will be."

"It's going to be bad regardless." He let out as he stood up to take their plates to the sink. "Exactly, so why continue to draw it out?" She questioned as she got up following him. "How are you even getting away with sneaking to a different city?"

"I have sponsors in San Francisco too. I've had plenty of shoots and meetings there." She leaned back on the kitchen counter. "Hijo, tell her."

He knew his mother was right, he just had to do it at this point.

-

Mateo walked into the house as Sofia was laid out on the sofa watching reality TV. She turned looking his way as he walked in with two to-go plates. "My mom cooked," he let out as he lifted the plates as if she couldn't already see it.

She smiled quickly getting up, she loved his mother's cooking. "Perfect timing." She grabbed both plates out of his hand. Putting one in the microwave for herself and the other in the fridge for him.

"How's she doing?" She asked as she faced him, he took a seat by the island. He nodded, "she's good." It was obvious something was bothering him, it was noticeable in his demeanor.

The microwaved beeped as she turned around to take the food out. She grabbed a fork digging in. Closing her eyes as she chewed emphasizing how good it tasted. His mom could throw down and there was no secret about it. "This is so good," she let out as she opened her eyes going for another fork full. He watched her as she ate.

He just had to come out and say it, and what better time than while she was doing something that she enjoyed?

"I got a girl pregnant," he let out so quick that she could barely understand him. "What?" She questioned as she chewed. Her attention now on him more than the food.