27. Dinner!

Jessica stood in the bathroom applying some light makeup on her face. Her phone chimed making her stop momentarily as she checked it. "Shit." She let out as she read that Mateo was at the door.

She forgot he said he was stopping by once he left the gym. She finished applying her mascara before she headed downstairs to open the door.

"You always take long as hell." He stated as he stood up from leaning on the side of the house. Jessica rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She turned back around heading further back into the house.

Mateo took her in, "where you going?"

She remembered she hadn't mentioned it to him. She faced him. "Alexis asked me to come with her and Xavier to dinner with one of his friends. Apparently he wants to make up for all the bullshit." She rolled her eyes as she responded because it still sounded like total bullshit to her. But she was willing to hear him out.

Mateo's eyebrows furrowed together as he crossed his arms and shook his head. "Nahh, you not going."

Jessica chuckled slightly. "That's exactly what I told Alexis when she brought it up bu-" she paused in the middle of her statement as her hand went to her belly. A sharp pain shooting through.

"You okay?" Mateo asked as concern quickly etched his face and he moved closer to her. She nodded. "Yeah," she let out lowly. "These contractions are going to be the death of me."

"Have they been happening a lot?"

She walked over taking a seat on the couch as she shook her head side to side. "Not in the time that means labor though, so relax." She saw the panic in his face.

"I'm fine." She smiled as the contraction subsided. "My doctor said it's just my body preparing for it. It can happen weeks before the actual delivery."

"See no, you're definitely not going." He let out as he stood across from her with his arms crossed.

She chuckled, "I already told them I would go and I'm halfway finished with getting dressed. Plus isn't he your best friend? Don't you want us to put our differences aside?"

Mateo quickly shook his head no. "Fuck that. I don't trust Xavier. We aren't even cool right now and one of his friends is coming? Hell nahh Jess, he's on some sneaky shit."

This was all news to Jessica. "Oh." She let out. "When did this happen? Why aren't you two cool?" She questioned, truly curious.

"Recently and it ain't important just know I'm not fucking with him right now. So he can save whatever apology he was going to give for another time." Mateo didn't believe he was trying to apologize especially from seeing how hostile he was when it came to Jessica the last time the two talked.

Jessica nodded still wanting to know but she wasn't going to push it right now. "I don't think Lex knows that. Let me call her." She got up having to head back upstairs to grab her phone.

Once she grabbed her phone she saw she had a missed call from Lex, she called back as Lex quickly answered. She could hear the smile in her voice. "Hey girl! I know this is last minute but did you want us to scoop you or would you prefer to meet us there?"

"Actually, Mateo doesn't think I should go." She leaned on the bathroom counter as she looked at herself in the mirror and bit her lip. She felt bad that she was about to possibly cancel on her tonight.

Alexis smacked her teeth, "what? Why not?"

"So they're not even cool right now and he feels like it's some shady shit and I kind of have to agree. I felt like that too when you brought it up but to find out he isn't even fucking with Mateo right now and he's inviting me is super weird."