38. Truth's out.

It had been a few days since Xavier and Mateo decided to squash the beef. Xavier sat in his car debating if he was going to head home or hit up Mateo. They were just now getting back on good terms and he felt like he owed it to him to let him know about Sofia staying with him. He sighed as he sent him a quick text. Mateo quickly responded and told him he was headed to his place and to come through.

Xavier started his car, making his way there. He was nervous about how the conversation would go as he replayed all the different ways it could go in his head. He shook away all the thoughts as he turned up his music, deciding he wasn't going to think about it and just deal with it once he truly got there.

He pulled up to Mateo's in no time, he quickly got out and knocked on the door as Mateo opened it, letting him in. They dapped each other up as Mateo made his way back to the living room. X looked down at the beers that were on the table. Two were already finished as a third one sat half empty. He was downing them, which meant something had to be bothering him. Mateo wasn't a heavy drinker, and especially not by himself at home. "You good?" X questioned as he took a seat on the couch opposite of Mateo.

Mateo took a swig of his beer as he looked over at him, "yeah, you want one?" he questioned as he kind of tilted the beer towards him to let him know that's what he was offering. X shook his head no, "what's been up with you?" he asked changing the subject and trying to make slight conversation.

Mateo sighed as he shook his head, "not much, getting ready to hit the field again. I miss that shit so it couldn't be more perfect timing." X smiled, understanding the feeling, not completely but he got it. "I bet, it's been a minute since you been out there. That first day back is going to be everything."

Mateo nodded as he took another swig of his beer. "Why you over here?" X questioned. "I thought you were staying with Jessica?" He knew Mateo would either brush it off, or answer it, he knew this was like the start of a friendship all over again so he felt like whatever his answer was determined a lot. Mateo looked over at him, "I can't come home sometimes?" he smiled. Mateo and Jessica had yet to really deal with the problems they were having, in his mind they just needed to take a step back. He told himself he would hit her up today to talk. He'd seen her, moreso to see Kaiden but neither one of them pushed talking about what had happen and what the issue was between them.

X didn't know whether to believe it was all good or not, but he knew it wasn't his place to pry, not now at least. "What's been up with you though?" Mateo questioned instead. X sighed, "not shit, same old, same old for the most part."

"For the most part? What's new?" Mateo questioned. X laughed, knowing this was the moment he should probably let him know about Sofia, he just didn't expect it to come so quick. He clapped his hands together. "So, you remember when you kicked Sofia out?" Mateo's face dropped, his somewhat happy demeanor changing completely as he felt like he wasn't about to like what X was going to say. He nodded as X picked up on the noticeable change.

"She's been staying with, it's only temporary of course and after you told me what happened I made it even more temporary because that shit was foul."

Mateo just looked at him, he understood that he was just trying to be a good friend but that was the issue, he catered to Sofia more but he was supposed to be his friend. "You two got something going on?" Mateo questioned.

"No, hell no. You dated her for years Mateo, I put you two on how fucked up would that be?"

"Never kissed, nothing?" Mateo continued asking. This threw X off, they had kissed but Sofia was the one who pushed it and he stopped it, and she was possibly a little drunk and absolutely nothing had happened since then. He didn't want Sofia at all. X shook his head as he looked down, he debated on whether or not he should tell him. He felt like if he told him the truth he would just look at him as a snake and wouldn't even try to hear him out. They had just got back cool.