17. Lunch or punch?

Mateo and Sofia arrived in San Francisco barely two hours before Jessica's glucose test. They picked up their rental car and stopped to eat and were now headed to the hotel that they were staying in for the night.

Once they got in Sofia quickly laid down and turned the TV on as Mateo checked the time knowing he needed to leave soon to meet Jessica.

"How long is it going to take?" She questioned as Mateo easily shrugged his shoulders. "Never done this before. I think she said at least 2 hours though."

She sighed as she surfed through the channels. "And we're doing lunch after right?"

He nodded, "that's the plan." He took a seat on the end of the bed facing the TV as he put his watch on. "Her dude is coming too."

"She has a boyfriend?" She said with much surprise and delight.

Mateo chuckled a little as he looked back at her. "Yeah." Something like that he thought. "I told you it was nothing like that. She got her own shit going on just like we do."

She didn't respond as he got up, walking closer to her. "Alright I'm about to leave." He kissed her on lips before making his way towards the door! "Love you!" She yelled out.

He threw out a love you too and made his way out. He arrived with a little less than ten minutes to spare. He sent a text to Jessica as she easily let him know she was inside already.

He got out the car, locking the doors in the process as he walked in. Once he got to where she was they were calling her name, "Jessica Brown!" He watched as she got up, as she had not yet spotted him. So he just walked up beside her.

"Oh hey," she said a little startled as her eyes landed on him. He spoke back as they followed the lady to the back as she checked to make sure Jessica hadn't eaten anything and then went over how the procedure would go. She drew some blood then gave her a bottle with some type of  sweet liquid in it for her to drink. Once they handed it to her they were seated in a waiting area for her to finish it where it was just the two of them.

She made a nasty face as she took the first sip, "oh gosh, I think I chose the worst flavor." This caused Mateo to laugh. "It's not funny," she let out. "I have to finish this whole thing." She whined.

Mateo got up, going to sit in the seat beside her. "You got it. Just hold your nose as you drink it."

She looked at him like he was stupid, but did it anyways as she took another gulp. "Have you thought of any names?" He questioned trying to get her mind off the taste. She moved her head side to side as she took another sip. "Sort of kind of, not really. You?"

Mateo shook his head no. "Was thinking we could brainstorm some up together."

She nodded in agreement as she drank some more. "Crazy to think we're going to have a real life baby in a few months."

"I know," he let out as he sat all the way back in the chair. The thought of her not being Sofia came to Jessica's mind, not that she wanted to be Sofia. She was more than happy with who she was but the hurt surfaced at the thought of his words.

She didn't say anything as she took bigger gulps trying to finish it. The dislike she had for him intensifying in the moment.

"Our off season ends real soon. Practice will start up more and then games, so I'll be doing a lot more traveling and I'll be here a lot less." He stated as he interrupted the moment of brief silence.

She just nodded in understanding, not saying much. Out the mood to be in his presence with just that one thought.

"What's up?" He questioned. She looked over at him, "what?" She asked before looking at the bottle to see how much more she had to drink.