14. WOW

The ride back to Jessica's was a quiet one. She sat in the back trying to keep her emotions together. The comment he made hurt, though he might have felt like that she wished he would have kept the comment to himself.

She got it, she completely understood it. If she had it her way he wouldn't have been the father. It was clear that him and Sofia had to be on the rocks after he told her. But was that a reason to throw blows at her? She thought they had got past this point. She shook the thoughts out of her head. Ready to just go home and crawl in bed at this point. What started off as a joyous day was no longer one for her.

He pulled up to her house, parking the car as she quickly spoke up. "Can I just get some time alone for a little bit?" His mother looked back at her, "of course? Are you okay?"

Jessica nodded her head. Why did she have to ask that? It automatically made tears well in her eyes. "Are you sure?" She asked as tears started to fall, the same tears Jessica was trying to save until she got in the privacy of her home. "Yes," she let out quickly, her voice cracking as she quickly grabbed the ultrasound pictures, got out the car and made her way inside.

Mateo closed his eyes running a hand down his face mentally cursing himself. He knew he was the cause of the tears and he realized how selfish the comment was once he made it. They both had already made it clear from the beginning that if they could have had it their way it would be different. This was a bridge they had crossed already.

He unbuckled his seatbelt, "give me a second ma." He quickly got out the car making his way to her apartment seeing her as she entered. "Jessica."

She shook her head, "Mateo, just give me some time by myself, please."

"I'm sorry," he let out as he neared her. "I'm sorry, that was rude and inconsiderate -" She stopped him before he could even finish as she wiped tears from her eyes. "Mateo stop, it's all that and it's how you feel. It's cool. Fuck you, I'm over this shit. I'll tell you when the baby is coming, well that's if you want to know because I know I'm not Sofia and all." She stated sarcastically. "I can't take a lot of shit, but I'm not going to continue to deal with this bullshit. The stabs at my character, the comments as if I don't have feelings. I'm over it."

She turned to enter her house as he followed her. He closed her door and grabbed her arm causing her to turn around and face him. Her tears were a clear indication of the dig his words made into her. Her speaking her peace on it was a clear indication of her strength. Both of which he noticed in that moment.

"It's wasn't cool Jessica. It was weak as fuck of me to even let it come out my mouth. And you know damn well I'm not about to have you go through all of this alone. I was wrong as hell. I took a moment that should have been nothing but celebration and happiness and made it negative because of shit that's going on with me. You were happy in that moment and I took that away from you." His phone went off as Jessica looked down at the pocket that housed it in that moment.

Mateo debated on ignoring it or now. He pulled it out silencing it as he bit his lip seeing Sofia calling. "Answer it," Jessica let out, she could see the internal struggle he was having with answering his ex or comforting the mother of his child. "Just go, just give me some time." He looked at her as the call turned into a missed call.

"Mateo, please." She let out as she broke eye contact with him. He didn't want to leave her like this, but he didn't really know what else to do. "I'll call you later."

"Okay," she let out lowly without looking at him as she walked deeper into her apartment. He watched her walk towards her room before punching his fist into his hand and turning around to leave. He felt like the ultimate asshole.