-s i x t e e n-

Emma's POV

i feel a sudden rush of air behind me. ethan places his warm hands over my eyes. "guess who?" he forces a little laugh. i remove his hands from my face, which resulted in him spinning me around.

his greenish-hazel eyes threw me off. "bitch fucking get off of me!" i yell at him.

he lets go and puts his hands up, like i was the cops.
"sorry..."

"why did you come here e?" i cross my arms, still looking him straight in his eyes.

"so you know thanksgiving is coming up.." he started.

i assumed he was gonna say some shit like he wanted to spend it with me or something, which by the way, i was wrong.

"...and grayson and i are going back to new jersey for awhile. we haven't visited for the longest time, so we wanted to stay a longer. i wanted to you know, so we could maybe do something before we go...i guess"

i wasn't quite sure how to react. the last thing i wanted was for him to leave. i feel like there's something we're both hiding. my mind couldn't put it together.

"yea," was the first thing that came to mind. he looked me up and down, questioning my response. "sure!" the pitch of my voice raised.

emotions started to take over my body. first i was a little upset, pissed and just stressed. we both kind of stand in complete silence.

we were reading each other. i didn't want ethan to think i want him to go, also. but i don't want him to think i'm going to be miserable without him. it was around the middle of november, which means that grayson and ethan would be there for like two weeks, at the least.

i grab my coffee, slightly stirring it with one of my long-ass plastic straws. i walk passed ethan to one of my chairs. i heard him mumble some dumb shit, but i couldn't make out what he said. his shoes squeak on the hardwood floor.

"are you okay emma?"

no i'm not. i never am but i didn't know how to express how i felt without saying any shit weird or hurtful. we're in a relationship, i guess and i still can't even be fifty percent honest around him. this stuff makes me a little uncomfortable, which shouldn't be how i feel, but yet i do.

i set my coffee on one of my coasters, making sure it's smack-dab in the middle. i thought it would make ethan laugh, but he was somewhere else. not literally, but in a weird mindset, i could just tell.

it was over five minutes of nothing but the sound of notifications from ethan's phone. he checks his phone, typing away quickly.

"doing just fine." i lie. i look up at him, still on his phone. "so what were you thinking we could do..?" i ask to get him talking again. something was definitely off, but i didn't want to give attention to it just yet.

he looks up at me, turns off his phone and shoved it back into his pocket. he takes a few steps and fall onto a chair, letting out a loud sigh. "dinner." he said firmly. i nod slightly in agreement, while he folds his arms and gives me a dead stare. a shiver runs down my spine. this was the most awkward fucking thing. did he know what he was doing?