(9)여름

I turned on the heater of the car to beat out the cold emitted by the snow. I made myself comfortable on my seat and closed my eyes. I heard the car door open making me open my left eye to see Jiyong entering the car. I closed my eyes again and remained quiet as I felt the car start.

Today is the day I'll have to meet Jiyong's relatives. I mean, I've met them before in the wedding but it has already been more than a year since that happened and I still find Jiyong's family intimidating. I'm from a less fortunate family and his family are all born from silver-spoons. Not intimidating at all, am I right?

The car ride was silent except for the mellow sound coming out of the radio. I tried to fall asleep but found unable to do so. So I just opened my eyes and watched as the scenery outside the window pass by my eyes.

I took a side glance at Jiyong. It's been already more than a year since I married the guy but we weren't really close. He was mostly at work and I'm mostly at school and at home. We see each other everyday though. We eat together sometimes. But he eats mostly outside with his co-workers and friends. 

I get very lonely at home because it's just me. Especially last summer when I literally just sleep, wake up, eat, clean, watch, eat then sleep again. And so when Jiyong bought a Nintendo console, I was beyond ecstatic. 

I always dreamed of having one at home but it was too expensive. It was a dream beyond reach and so when one day he arrived with a Nintendo console, I was near in tears. It was one of the things we bonded over. 

"Hey" Jiyong spoke, breaking me out of my trance.

"Yeah?" I asked, voice groggy from not speaking.

"You okay?" He asked and I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

"Yeah, why'd you ask?"I asked.

"You're quiet and that's weird" He said making me chuckle.

When we arrived at Jiyong's relatives's house, I felt a burning churn in my stomach. I've always hated family gatherings and now I'm forced into my husband's family gathering.

Dang, it still sounds weird to say I have a husband. Even weirder because I know I have a husband.

I got out of the car the same time as Jiyong. I followed behind Jiyong, not wanting to get separated to the only person I know. 

"Jiyong!" I heard a feminine voice call out. Jiyong and I turned to see a woman around the same age as Jiyong run up to Jiyong and hug him.

"Eunhee! Long time no see!" Jiyong said, pulling away from the woman.

Their eyes suddenly landed on me and I fidgeted on my feet. "Eunhee, this is my wife, Min Yeoreum. Yeoreum, this is my cousin, Lee Eunhee" Jiyong said.

Eunhee's eyes shone as she looked at me "Of course I know who she is! I was in your wedding! But anyways, nice to meet you Yeoreum" Eunhee said, bowing to me and I did the same.

"It's nice to meet you too, Eunhee unnie" 

After our brief meeting, Eunhee ushered the two of us inside and announced our arrival to the family. To say the least, I was overwhelmed meeting Jiyong's family. They asked me a lot of questions and I've never had this kind of interaction with people their age. It was obvious that I'm the youngest out of the room. Well, except for Jiyong's baby nephew.

When dinner began, I listened intently to what the topic was, afraid that they might ask me all of a sudden. And true to my guess, Jiyong's aunt suddenly asked me "Yeoreum, I've heard that you're quiet young. How young exactly?"

I felt my face heat up and I glanced at Jiyong who plastered an unreadable face. I gulped before answering "Fifteen"

"Oh wow. I didn't expect you to be that young" The old hag laughed.

The warm atmosphere from earlier turned cold ice. No one spoke, making the awkwardness of the situation even more intense.

Eventually, someone else spoke of a different subject and I didn't speak for the rest of the night.

After dinner, I slipped out of the house and went to the garden to have some time by myself.

I let out a loud sigh. I feel so out of place it's so suffocating.

I sat down on a bench and frowned at the fact that here I am, in a fancy family gathering while my parents is back at the farm, still working their asses off. I've never felt so homesick as much as I do right now.

"Hey kid" I heard Jiyong's voice said from behind me.

"Hey oldie" I said, earning a snort.

"I'm not that old you know" Jiyong said, sitting beside me.

"Well, not as young as I am" I rolled my eyes at the memory of his aunt.

"Don't let what she said get to you" He said.

"Well, it's true. I am young. She didn't even say anything that offensive" I grumbled, swinging my feet in annoyance.

"Yes she did. No one even brought it up until her annoying ass did" I laughed at his words.

"Don't worry. No one likes that woman. She's just jealous she doesn't have a husband and you do" He continued, letting out a loud laugh.

"You're mean" I laughed, standing up.

"Can we go home now?" I asked as he follows my lead.

"Yeah, I guess so"

We came back inside and bid goodbye to his family. When we got outside, I ran towards our car, opening it and adjusting my seat so that I can lie down. I reached for the pillow from the back seat and placed it under my head.

"Well ain't you comfy" Jiyong commented making me grin at him.

I fell asleep almost immediately as I closed my eyes. My mind drifting off in a dream as Jiyong drove us back home.