(20)지용

Months passed by and Yeoreum visited me every week. I noticed that time seemed to pass by more slowly since I have something to look forward to every week.

I try to distract myself on chores which seemed to work a bit but then I get reminded of Yeoreum then time will feel slow again. I find myself smiling from time to time that one time, I got scolded for not focusing on my chore.

When Sunday comes, I would wait impatiently for Yeoreum to arrive. I would sometimes get worried that maybe something bad happened to her which explains why she's late. But then I'll get notified that my wife's here and I would rush out of my room to meet her.

And one more thing that I look forward to is the food she brings. Yeoreum is a good cook though she tells me otherwise.I know she feels happy when she sees me enjoy her food.

I know that I'm falling for her. I'm not stupid to not notice these new feelings I feel whenever I'm with her. She's really charming and really kind, though she's also feisty and has quite the temper. But from the amount of time that I've spent with her, I wouldn't be surprised to know that a lot of guys like her. She's really pretty too.

But I can't help but think that these feelings are wrong. Yeoreum is still underage. Yes, she's married to me but the fact that we married for business and not for love will never change.

Maybe being here in the military is better than being with her in our home. Because I know if we spent more time together under one roof, I might fail to contain myself. I'm still a man, you know? I sometimes wonder if Yeoreum is aware of this.

Living under the same roof as a man is dangerous for a girl like Yeoreum. But I promise myself not to harm her. Because if I do, I won't be able to forgive myself.

Today is a Sunday which means Yeoreum will visit me today. I lie awake on my bed, my back accustomed to the hard texture of the bed. Only me and one of my roommates remained in the room while the other 2 had already left the dorm an hour ago.

I woke up by the sound of my roommate humming a song. I almost cursed at him but I remembered that I'll be seeing Yeoreum today so I just zipped my mouth, happy that today has come.

I got out of bed and went to grab the things I would need to go to the bathroom. Once I sorted my things out, I left the room and headed straight to the shower.

It's a public shower meaning that only short walls hid our lower body from the other men that's also taking a shower. I did my business quickly and wrapped a towel around my waist. I got to the locker room and changed into my uniform.

When I got back to the dorm, my remaining roommate has left and I was the only person in the room. I sat on my bed, playing with my necklace that has my name engraved on it.

A knock was heard at the door and I stood up to open it. I was met by my senior who told me that I have a visitor. I told him thanks as I rushed out of the room.

I saw Yeoreum at the usual spot she goes to. She spotted me and stood up and waved at me. I ran towards her and sat on the bench opposite her.

"Your mom helped me cooked this yesterday" She said as she untangled the cloth that's wrapped around the lunch box.

"My mom?" I asked and she nodded.

"I was at your house yesterday. Your mom called me saying she wanted to spend time with me" Yeoreum explained, fixing the lunch box in my favor.

"What'd she said?" I asked, picking up the chopsticks she held out to me.

"Nothing. She just showed me baby pictures of you" She said, smirking at me evilly. She reached for something in her bag and held out a baby picture of me dressed in girl clothes.

I laughed, chocking in my food for a moment. Yeoreum frowned at me and said "That's it? No other reactions?"

"What reaction did you want?" I asked, peeking at her from my food.

"I don't know? Be embarrased? Be a bit more flustered?"

"Hah" That was all I said making Yeoreum huff at me. I just smiled to myself, finding her reaction cute.

I finished eating and I was cleaning up as Yeoreum told me about Haru's new boyfriend.

"His name is Kim Jihoon and he's in the same year as us. They met back in the cultural festival" Yeoreum chuckled then continued "It was when you went to our school. You actually saved me from loneliness that time. Jihoon stole Haru away from me and I had no one to talk to"

"When did they start dating?" I asked.

"Just a few days ago. They went on a date and they started making it official that day. Haru kept squealing at me all night. If I hadn't ended the call, I wouldn't have slept at all" Yeoreum laughed.

We're now sitting next to each other, telling stories about how our week went. It was silent for a moment, the silence speaking for itself.

"Hey Jiyong..." Yeoreum trailed off. I faced her, feeling nervous at how she suddenly turned serious. 

"Yeah?" I asked, my voice slightly quiet. Yeoreum copied me and turned to face me.

"School starts next week..."

"And?"

"I might not be able to go weekly like I usually do" Yeoreum said, pouting a bit.

"Ahhh" I replied, looking away from her.

"Looks like it's gonna be uneventful for me" I let out a forced laugh.

"Kwon Jiyong..." Yeoreum said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry! I'll visit you as often as I can!" Yeoreum beamed. I gave her a smile, appreciating her efforts.

"Don't exert yourself. Seoul's three hours away from here. Just go here on long weekends" I told Yeoreum, finally looking at her.

We took a walk around the base. I told her stories that happened to me or to someone else in a specific place I brought her to. She would laugh at my words and that was enough for me.

I walked her to the boundary which is the gate that limited where us soldiers could go to. We stopped in our tracks and faced each other.

"See you then" Yeoreum said, playing with her fingers.

"Yeah, see you" I said.

Yeoreum began to walk away but before she could go further, I grabbed her arm and stopped her from walking.

"Jiyong?" She asked, confused.

I stared intensely in her eyes making her blink.

"Umh, Jiyong?"

I walked closer to her until there was no space between us. Yeoreum started to back away but I held her back, unabling her to go farther away from me. Our eyes met and I began to feel tingles in my stomach.

Yeoreum has her eyes wide open, her cheeks reddening at our close extremity. I slowly leaned down to her lips, closing my eyes on the process. Yeoreum closed her eyes too and before we knew it, our lips were already touching.

Her lips felt soft despite it being chapped. Her lips tasted like key lime, the flavor of her chapstick. I felt Yeoreum kiss me back making me deepen our kiss. Her hands clutched to my back, crinkling my uniform in the process.

I pulled away, our lips making a sound as it refused to pull away from each other. I opened my eyes at the same time as Yeoreum. We leaned on each other's forehead, gasping for air.

"Bye" Yeoreum squeaked out, turning and running away from me. I stared at her retreating figure, shocked as much as she is.

I trailed my fingers on my lips, the feeling of Yeoreum's warm lips still there.