Chapter 4

I actually laughed at her. "No. You're a demon right. Deities don't exist."

Akeno laughed back at me. "Yes, there are fox demons. No I am not one of them."

"You expect me to believe you?" I asked as I glared.

Akeno actually rolled her eyes at me before turning and crawling under my covers. I was about to yank them off her when instead of a fox crawling out the other side, the head of a beautiful young woman did instead.

She had amber hair that was very long. It flowed down her shoulders and touched the bed even as she sat up holding the blanket to her chest to hide her modesty. A large fluffy fox tail swayed on the blankets before curling around her knees. Her fox ears wiggled on her head. The tips were white, just like the tip of her tail.

My jaw must have come loose because she smiled almost seductively at me.

I clamped my jaw closed. "Demons can do that too."

"That's true." Akeno nodded. "But I promise, I'm not a demon."

"Prove it. What do Kitsune's do?" I asked.

"They're nature guardians." Akeno answered. She turned her head and looked out the window and I yelped seeing a white stag standing in front of the window peering in. "If I was a demon, he wouldn't come anywhere near your home, would he?"

Lattimers weren't demons either. They were a variations of humans whom had cat parts and instincts. They could understand cats, but they couldn't always turn into them. It took practice, and I was one of the few who didn't care to practice turning into an animal.

My gaze went from the huge stag in the window, to the woman naked in my bed.

I blinked.

"You saw me naked in the stream!" I yelled.

She rolled her eyes. "Is that all you're worried about?" She asked.

"You could have said something then!" I barked.

"I didn't know what you were then. You're part Seer, so you're allowed to know of the immortal world that doesn't involve demons." Akeno explained. "If I showed my form to a mortal, the Gods would get angry with me. Humans cannot know of the guardians of their worlds."

"Gods? You mean Elysium right?" I asked.

"Yes." Akeno nodded softly. "Not to mention, Deities do not want to watch their friends die, therefore, I planned to leave seeing as I was becoming attached to you."

"Attached?" I raised an eyebrow.

"You're very unique you know." Akeno's smirk was all I could see. She was so beautiful, so perfect. I just wanted to-

Calm down me! She's a God! You can't have her! Gods are fickle creatures. They lie and cheat almost as much as you do. Trick her into leaving!

As I opened my mouth she continued. "You aren't like the other beings I've met. I knew you were a thief as soon as you attacked the carriage, who else would attack an armed cart? But even still, you didn't leave me in a box and sell me, even knowing how much someone was willing to pay. Instead you let me out, nursed me back to health, and were ready to take me into your home."

"Now I kinda want you gone." I said.

"I don't intend to leave." Akeno smiled. "I do not know this forest, nor the way back home."

"Where's your home?"

"In Krate." Akeno said. "I protect the villagers there."

"That's in the Realm of Dragons!" I barked. "That will take days to get there!"

"I'm aware. Perhaps there is something of compensation you want? Payment for taking me so far?" Akeno asked.

"There is nothing I want that you can give me." I growled.

She stepped off the bed, holding the blanket around her body. She stepped forward with a smile, then reached out with her free hand and grabbed my wrist.

The tattoos on my arm snaked away, becoming invisible at her touch.

"I can take these away." She told me. "All I ask is that you take me home."

I could only stare at my clear skin, then whimper when she brought her hand away and the tattoos returned to my arm. I glared up at her in annoyance.

Was it worth it? To take a God back to where she lived? Would she really take these things off my body if I helped her?

"Before I decide anything, why were you in that cart in the first place?" I asked.

This time she frowned. She stepped back and sat on the bed. "A demon told the King here that a Deity lived in that region, and he paid a lot of money to have me brought to him. The demon gave them a weapon that would never heal unless it was helped to heal by someone else. They used it, then locked me up and prepared to bring me to the King. I was only a few miles away from being someone's pet." her hand touched her neck like she once had a collar on.

"I heard that if you put a collar on a Animal Deity they become that person's slave." I crossed my arms.

"That's not quite true." Akeno shrugged. "It works with most non-human races but not all of them. But the King would use my power only to rule as a tyrant. Why else would he want me? I'm not a pet, I'm a person."

"You're a God." I corrected. "You have a job to do."

"A job that I cannot do here. Please take me back home." She stood up again, showing off that she was a few inches taller than me.

"Fine! But not now!" I growled. "We'll leave tomorrow. But I don't trust you at all!"

"Then put a collar on me." Akeno said.

"What?"

"I trust you will not abuse my power. You said so yourself you wanted to repent. The Gods will forgive you if you help me." Akeno said. "And if they don't I will."

I sighed and looked through some drawers for anything I could use for a collar. I found a black one that I had put on my old dog before it too past away. I grabbed it and faced her. "Will this work?"

She looked at it. "Yes, that'll do just fine." She leaned forward, lowering her head for me so I could slip the collar around her neck and clasp the buckle on the other side. She leaned back with a slight frown on her face before she gently touched the collar.

"You won't abuse me... right?" Akeno asked.

"The Gods so far have only wronged me. I feel as though I should bully you." I told her. "But I need... no I want, to make it up to them. And so you have nothing to fear from me."

Akeno smiled.

"You sleep or something, I'll pack a traveling bag." I said as I stood up.

"Put some clothes in there for me alright? I'd rather not walk around naked if I can help it." Akeno said.

"You could stay a fox."

"I only need one pair. When I actually wear clothes they will vanish then re-appear when I return to this form." Akeno explained.

"Why don't you wear clothes?" I questioned.

"Because I'm usually alone. What's the point?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes and got started packing a bag, leaving a pile of clothes for her at the foot of my bed. When I looked over, she was once again a fox, her upper body was the only thing sticking out from under the blanket.

Just looking at her caused me to be tired, and when I looked at the window, the stag was no where to be seen. I practically fell into the bed and fell asleep. Wishing that this day never happened.