Chapter 7

"Well shit." I muttered.

"Indeed." She rolled her eyes before turning her head to look at the man who's burnt skin was healing slowly.

I should have seen it in her appearance. She had bronze eyes. Not brown like normal people. I mean like a glowing bronze color. They were like little flashlights in the shade of the tree. Her facial features were pretty, but her vampiric aura made her look amazingly beautiful. Her hair was an auburn color. A mix of red and brown. The ends of her hair were a bright red to add to it.

She was wearing a simple long sleeved blouse and casual pants. She had leather boots on similar to mine, but her's looked more casual. Like she was a villager here.

"What are you doing here?" Akeno asked.

"I am trying to get this village under control." Minerva answered as she looked back at us. "But the King refuses to speak with me, so I mock him by ruining his guard's work."

"Minerva!" Came a young girl's voice. A girl ran over, her face hidden by a hood. "Who are these people? Did they attack John?"

"He attacked them." Minerva rolled her eyes.

The little girl lowered her hood and let the sun show off her face. She had the same color hair as Minerva only without the red ends, and the same Bronze eyes.

"Is this your daughter?" I asked.

"No." Minerva said. "She was orphaned by her parents. I found her dying in the street."

"You turned her?" I asked.

"I did what I had to to save her. The only way I could was to make her a Pureblood."

"Only the firstborn of Rose can do that." I said.

"Some Stargazers retain this ability." Minerva said. "I am one of the four who still can."

"Four of you can keep creating Purebloods?"

"Yes." Minerva glared as if I had insulted her.

"Then the guy behind you?" Akeno asked as she looked at John who was standing up revealing black eyes.

"He is not mine." Minerva said. "He was turned by someone else."

"There's another Vampire in this village?" I asked.

"They aren't a Pureblood, and they aren't Stargazer." Minerva said.

"She attacked me without warning!" John said. "Lept from the roof and tore out my neck and left me to turn."

"Something's wrong." Akeno whispered. "There is regret in the air."

"Regret?" Minerva asked, her vampire hearing catching Akeno's words. "Regret of what?"

"I do not know." Akeno answered.

"And how can you sense emotions in the air?" The little girl asked.

"It's a gift I was born with." Akeno answered.

"I see." Minerva nodded.

"The Master Thief hasn't brought the orphanage food for a few days." The little girl said as she looked back at Minerva. "What are the kids going to do?"

I visibly flinched, and both Akeno and Minerva took notice of it. My tail swayed behind me nervously, and I could do nothing to stop it.

"The Master Thief whom stole the Blind Seer's eye?" Minerva questioned, her bronze eyes gazing into me.

"Of course. You know tha-." The little girl turned and gasped at me.

"I thought I could smell a Seer." Minerva said.

"Mikky!" Akeno gasped.

I looked down at my hands finding the tattoos back. I looked back up at Minerva in awe, her bronze eyes bore into me as she examined all the markings on my body.

Akeno looked around, expecting people to start to panic, so she put herself between me and the street.

"How are you doing that?" I asked.

"Children of Zia and Agora possess powers that even Rose does not have. Reasons for this are unknown. Alice Daybreaker can tear out your soul with her eyes, I can force the true form of anyone I look at, and render their powers useless, or force their powers to activate."

Akeno glanced over my shoulder nervously.

"Who is your companion thief?" Minerva asked. Her gaze was tilting towards Akeno.

"No!" I yelped, getting Minerva's eyes to gaze back into my own. "If you see her true form, discover what she is, she will... change. Please. Report me to the authorities, just leave her out of this."

Akeno gripped the back of my shirt tightly, a silent thank you.

"Very well." Minerva said. "I understand the Gods can be difficult. But I was not going to report you."

"Then why expose me?" I asked.

"I wanted to know who the Master Thief was." Minerva said. "She has been saving the lives of the people here far longer than I have."

"We should be taking the fight to the King, but he will not let you in." Said the little girl.

"Perhaps the Thief can get me in?" Minerva asked.

"I cannot sneak another person inside." I told her. "I can get myself in."

"Then you can kill him!" John growled.

"I will kill no one!" I growled back, my ears flattening against the top of my head. "I may steal, but I do not kill people."

"Not to mention you steal for all the right reasons." Minerva agreed. "This city is corrupt and needs new leadership. If I open the gates by force, the King will have the right to attack me."

"What if the Thief scares the King enough to talk to you?" The girl asked.

"What did you have in mind?" I questioned.

"Steal things from his bedroom while he is sleeping." John offered. "He will know someone is getting in."

"She can leave behind these." The little girl held up little blue paper stars.

"But first we need to feed the orphanage." Minerva said. "The people need help during the day. Steal at night."

"I'm working with demons." I sighed.

Minerva was about to say something as she glanced at Akeno, but she closed her mouth and smiled at her guiltily. She was kind after all.

I pulled my mask up and the hood over my head before running into the marketplace with two other humans that Minerva had asked to aid me.

I lept over a poor stall that wasn't getting a lot of attention then landed on the stall of one of the wealthy farmers. He jumped back in shock as I pushed the food into a sack one of my helpers had set up at the end of the table.

"You better pay for that!" He roared.

I glared down at him and he whimpered, stepping back again.

"You're nothing but a bully!" The man shouted.

"Do you work for the King?" I asked.

"Of course I do! And that's why you're going to pay!" he shouted.

"If you work for the King, then you work for those guards who knock over elderly woman, and crash into carts, not caring for their actions as long as they punish those who are just trying to survive. I am not a bully. I am an icon for the people."

"There she is!" A guard shouted as he and a few friends ran over.

I lept off the table, in mid air, spinning and throwing one of my knives into the King's flag, hanging above the street, cutting through his forehead.

When my boots hit the ground, I took off with my two companions ducking into some brush then climbing up onto the roof of the building.

"An Icon?" My companion asked as she put her hand to her hip, the sack of food slung over her shoulder.

"You heard her. The Master Thief, is now fighting for the people." Said the other as he laughed.