Chapter 16

Akeno and I ended up going downstairs later and we waited with Minerva. Her vampires avoided her, not willing to tempt her rage.

When word came from the castle, we expected Minerva's expression to brighten, but she glared at the paper angrily before pulling me and Akeno aside.

"The King wants me to go alone." Minerva said. "Its obviously a trap, so I need your help."

"You're going to go anyway?" I asked.

"I have to try." She explained. "These people need the help."

"So you need me to break you out?" I questioned and she nodded. "I'm on it."

"Thank you." She smiled slightly. "The second he betrays me I will contact my mother who will likely do nothing about it. I will then contact Aviri who will tell Rose. They will arrive in a few hours. You will break me out before then."

"You're going to let them imprison you?" Akeno asked.

"They will likely have anti-vampire weapons ready. If I fight back, I will probably be killed." She exained. "I have to go. Get your things together quickly. When I hear your thoughts I will enter."

I nodded and ran off to the armory, Akeno followed.

While I was getting my wrist guards on, that held the hidden blades, she pulled a leather vest over my body and secured it tightly on my frame.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"This is dragon leather from Krate. It is as strong as steel and will protect you." She explained as she set my bow and quiver over my shoulders as I started filling my pockets with my equipment.

"You're coming with me you know." I smirked.

"Which is why you will wear it." She answered. I glanced over my shoulder seeing the nine tailed fox emblem covering the entire back of the vest. I turned back to Akeno with a raised eyebrow.

"It was a gift." She shrugged. The leather was black like the rest of my outfit, but the emblem was solid white with black for the fox's eyes.

Akeno closed the door and stepped forward towards me. "Are you ready?" She asked.

I nodded. "Absolutely."

She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly once again. I held my balance as she vanished into my body and the warmth filled me once again.

It felt better than anything else I could discribe. It was just absolutely perfect in every way. Such a wonderfully warm feeling.

I could only smile. The tattoos that now were back on my skin were red in color where Akeno's were. The rest of them were their usual black. When I looked in the mirror, my amber eye, was now scarlet like Akeno's. I jogged out of the room and upstairs where I lept from the window and shot across the roof tops to the castle.

I watched Minerva enter and I sat and waited.

"One hour." She had said.

So we waited for that hour to pass, and I just enjoyed the warm feeling of Akeno's flame in my own body and soul. It was so pleasant and calming, there was nothing that could have upset me.

Once the hour passed, I hopped down and ran around the castle wall. There were a few metal bars blocking a small window. I knew I could squeeze in the window if the bars were gone.

Akeno took control of my body, and kneeled me in front of the window. She snapped her fingers and a blue flame ignited on my fingertips. She touched the flame to the metal bars and like a torch, began to cut through them.

When all the bars were gone, she pulled the metal loose and set it on the ground before climbing in, and giving me back control.

"You're amazing." I whispered.

"Trust me, I know. Now lets find Minerva." She told me in my thoughts.

The basement was set up like a dungeon. There were cells lining the walls. By the time we found Minerva, she was in a cell, chained by her ankles and wrists to the back wall. Her outfit was torn, like she had been beaten, but her skin was still flawless, her vampiric healing keeping her pretty.

"Minerva?" I called out to her.

She lazily raised her head, her eyes half closed. "Mikky? What took you so long?"

"I'm right on time." I told her as I started picking the cell lock.

"They... They drugged me... Nightshade... Couldn't smell or taste it..." She said as she dropped her head again.

I unlocked the door quickly, then the cuffs. As soon as the last one came off, she lunged at me and pinned me to the cell wall behind me. I yelped, both from the pain of my back, and from knowing what was happening.

Her body wanted blood to make up for healing herself earlier. I had no strength to resist her.

But just as her fangs grabbed my skin, she pulled away from me and ran out the door. Then ran down the hall, where I heard what sounded like a struggle. By the time I got there, Minerva was leaned over a man who's legs were bent, practically on his knees. His arms were limp, and Minerva's fangs were in his jugular.

I could feel Akeno cringe, and try to get me to look away, but I made my way over and touched her shoulder. "Minerva, he's dead. If he hurt you before, he won't now."

She dropped the corpse carelessly before she turned and glared at me with bronze eyes. "He wanted to defile me!" She growled, blood dripping down her chin.

"He deserved to die." I told her.

She looked down at the corpse before wiping her face on her sleeve and looking back at me. "Get me out of here. Please."

"Right this way princess." I offered as I started down the hall with her following.