Chapter 39

"Can you please stop." I grumbled.

"But it's cute." Akeno answered.

"It tickles."

Akeno was gently letting her fingertips brush the edge of my right cat ear. It was very ticklish, and I was constantly having my ear twitch.

I would run away if I could, but we were riding on Star, so there was no where I could escape to.

We had just made a pass through Augerheim, and said goodbye to Minerva and Vincent. We left using the other entrance on the east side of the city. We bought tons of gear and equipment, because we knew it'd be a long journey. Akeno offered to take me on her back, but I thought that wouldn't be fair to Star.

So instead, she's sitting behind me, and being way more annoying than she should. I wished I could talk to Star and tell him to knock her the fuck off.

She's lucky I can't.

"Heard that." She laughed.

"Good. Then you know to cut it out!" I growled.

"You like it." She smiled.

"You drive me nuts." I groaned.

"You think its cute!" She laughed.

"I think its annoying!"

"How about this?" She asked as she scratched behind my ear lightly. I had to cover my mouth with my hand to fight back the purr that was pushing forward.

"Aw, don't hold back! I love it when you purr!" She complained.

"Stop it! I'm trying to steer the horse!" I barked.

"Star will walk on the path if you don't steer him, and we're on a straight path." She answered.

"You're so annoying!" I whined.

"Just purr for me!" She shouted.

Then we both paused when we heard the same twig snap. My head shot around just in time to see a shadow dart through the trees.

"That was too big for a squirrel." Akeno noted.

"I noticed." I answered. I put all my focus into my six senses. The sixth obviously being the future.

Elysium was nice to me when it came to self defence.

But it didn't look like whatever it was planned on attacking me. Instead they seemed to back up and avoid us now that they knew we were onto them.

Akeno's arms tightened around my waist like she was ready for a fight, but no visions came and told me we'd be attacked. I gripped Star's reigns tighter and prepared for anything, keeping my senses on alert.

"Mikky." Akeno whispered.

"They aren't attacking us." I answered. "Stay calm, don't give them a reason."

"My existence is a reason." She hissed.

I caught an arrow out of the air before hissing back into the woods. "Piss off before you get us really angry."

My body. Now. I ordered.

She obeyed without a second thought.

I slapped on Star's reins and the horse took off, realizing right away that there was danger. He bolted down the path and I kept glancing over my shoulder.

Can you sense them?

No. I never could. But they smell like shades.

I looked up just as a shadow lashed out at Star. Even with my knowledge of what was about to happen, there was nothing I could do.