Chapter 19

My eyes opened slowly, as if testing the day to see if it was worth getting up. When I decided it was, I sat up and rubbed my eyes as I let my feet touch the floor.

Orange fur clung to my clothes and I could only smile. Akeno's tail was my blanket last night. I was surprised that I didn't wake when she got up.

I stood and walked into the kitchen, seeing she had prepared a meal for me but she wasn't in the room. I leaned in the archway and found her with her nose to the window, watching something outside.

I walked over to her and met her gaze. When I did my jaw fell to the ground.

There was a unicorn standing on my lawn! It was eating my grass! A unicorn! A whine unicorn with a white mane and a pink horn!

"Wh- how? Why- when?" I stuttered.

Akeno smiled and took my hand. "Only young woman and the supernatural can ever see one. They're rarer then a pegasus."

"Why is it here?" I asked.

The unicorn turned its head towards us and looked at us through the window. It whinnied, but I couldn't understand it. It then bowed its head before galloping off.

"It was here because it wanted to be." Akeno answered as she looked at me. "Where it wanted to be." She repeated as she played with my shirt collar, correcting it, as I just woke up from sleeping in it.

"Are you where you want to be?" I asked with a smirk.

"Im exactly where I want to be." Akeno answered as she leaned down and kissed me for the second time.

I returned he kiss without hesitation. This was what I wanted. What I needed. I needed this warmth, and this happiness that she gave me. The gap she filled was so obvious, so desired.

My brother was gone. No one could replace him. But Akeno made the pain go away. Made the hole not as great. The loneliness far away.

Little brother, if your watching, I hope you're happy. I hope you can forgive me for not grieving as much anymore. And I hope you like the place you're in now. I don't think I'll be joining you though. This woman before me has me all to herself.

And I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I still wish you were here though little brother.

When Akeno pulled her lips from mine, she smiled and led me back to the kitchen where she sat me down in my chair and pushed the plate of food towards me. "Do you like things simple?" She asked.

"Yeah. Why?" I asked, mid bite.

"You have a small home, but you don't seem like the kind of person who would like a small space." She answered.

"I honestly don't I spend most of my time outside." I answered.

"I see." She smiled and sat in the chair across from me.

"But. I was thinking about adding more rooms." I confessed.

"What kinda rooms?"

"A study. Maybe an armory. I could use a workshop too. Some place to mess with trinkets and maybe upgrade weapons you know? I'm no dragon, but I can make things with small parts." I told her.

"I don't doubt it. We can build on it together." She smiled at me.

"Well it's you're house too you know. You have a voice in these decisions as long as you don't do anything without asking." I told her with a smirk.

"I'd never do anything without your permission!" She stated as she looked at me almost offended.

I laughed a bit. "I never said you would. You're not the kind of person to do that." Her expression softened and became a smile.

"I'm glad you know me. Otherwise we'd have an issue."

"I'd get burned?" I guessed.

"Pretty much." She nodded.

I finished my meal and we went walking outside. We measured off how big the new rooms would be, and where the new doors were going to be. We decided that adding them to the other two sides of the parlor would be a good idea. It was the front door, so it should be the middle point of the house.

By the time we finished, it was midday. And I was already tired.

"So what would you like to do now?" I asked her.

"You could teach me how to lock pick!" She smiled.

"I could... Or we could do something fun."

"Don't want to be a thief anymore?" She questioned.

"Not while I'm at home." I answered.

"Then.... We can run around the woods!" She offered as she hopped up and down like an excited child.

"I dunno if that's fun for me." I shrugged.

"Don't care." She stepped forward and was engulfed in flames. When the flames vanished she was in her huge flaming fox form. She grabbed the front of my shirt in her jaws, then tossed me onto her back.

Surprisingly, her fur was actually fur, not fire, even though it looked like fire. I gripped it tightly as she took off full sprint into the woods.

"I love running!" She yelled.

"Its like riding a big fluffy horse!" I shouted.

I could get used to this.

Maybe.