Chapter 13

I woke with a fox laying on my chest.

When I looked down at it, it looked back up at me. "Akeno, what are you doing?" I asked.

"You looked lonely, so I thought I'd come keep you company." Akeno answered.

"I was sleeping?" I laughed. "How could I look lonely?"

"You just did okay?" She answered, her crimson eyes glaring into my own.

"I think it was sweet of you. Thank you Akeno." I scratched the top of her nose getting her to stare at me oddly before she leaned her head back. In a puff of flames she was in her human form, still on top of me. She grabbed my wrists and pinned them to the bed before glaring at me.

"I am not a pet." She warned, but I could only smile.

"I never once thought you were Akeno." I answered.

"Then why did you pet me?" She growled.

"Because you're so cute, I couldn't resist." I answered with a slight laugh. Her expression became confused before she glared at me once again.

"You are teasing me."

"I'm sorry Akeno." I smiled. "I just couldn't help myself."

"You're such an annoying human" She rolled her eyes before getting off me and standing up.

"I must ask though Akeno..." I started as I sat up. "Did you fall for me?"

She paused before looking back at me with a confused expression on her face. "I don't know." She answered. "Its been a very long time since I was with anyone at all. Perhaps your uniqueness has... caught my attention? But fallen for? No." She shook her head.

"Not even a little bit?" I smirked, getting her to glare at me once again.

"I am certain I have not fallen for you." She answered. "Go back to sleep or do something that's actually useful. But do not waste my time asking me pointless questions."

"Well, what if I fell for you?"

"Then you'd be an idiot. You're a mortal who has fallen in love with an immortal deity." She turned her gaze away from me.

"You're forgetting that I'm immortal too." I laughed.

"I have not!" She barked. "I am stating a fact! The life you known is in the mortal plane. Mine is not." She explained. "One of us would have to leave our comfort zones to be with each other. Do you think that's worth it?"

"If I was in love with someone, then anything would be worth it." I answered truthfully.

She stared at me for a long moment, as if testing me for lies or betrayal. She watched my expression and glared into my eyes, waiting for a single speck of doubt to cross my expression. When none appeared she turned her head away from me, to hide her own expression.

"Perhaps you're right." She nodded, more to herself than me. "We'll have to see what the future holds then won't we?"

"I suppose so." I nodded to her.

"I'll be downstairs with the others." Akeno said before she left the room. I followed after her after a few minutes, and when I came down, Akeno and Minerva were chatting once again.

However, Minerva's face looked grim like something was very wrong. Akeno turned and looked at me with a sad expression.

"What happened?" I asked.

"The King has ordered a hundred thousand gold bounty on the Master Thief. And if you steal from him again, he will tax the entire town to replace it."