Chapter 8

We climbed in the orphanage door just as the sun started to set. We set the sacks of food down and the kids came running over. I was used to leaving them at the back door, but this time, I came in.

Minerva was talking with Akeno, and I was a little nervous about that, but when I walked over they just smiled at me.

"You did good." Minerva said.

"I feel good." I answered as I sat on a chair beside Akeno. The heads of the orphanage were walking around, making sure all the children got something to eat. As they walked by me they touched my shoulders and thanked me.

It felt good to be good, and to be recognized for it.

"Now for the King." Minerva started.

The door to the room opened with a bang and John stumbled in breathing heavily. "Minerva!" He yelled. "There's a Stray!"

"A Stray?" Akeno questioned.

"Its the term they use for a demon who was turned, but lost their master. They either kill them, or run away. If they do so too early, then they loose control and either need to be killed, or need to find a new master." I explained.

Minerva stood up and Akeno and I followed her as she left the building and went out into the town. John led us to the marketplace, which was dimly lit by the lanterns.

A woman dropped a body to her feet, blood dripping from her mouth, her crimson eyes glaring right at us. She was wearing a torn shirt with a cloak over her shoulders and baggy leather pants that must have been a size too big, held on by a belt. She wasn't wearing any shoes, but there was so much blood on her chin.

"Why do they drink so much?" Akeno asked as she gripped my hand.

"Strays burn their energy off quickly by hunting so much. They are in a constant state of blood lust." Minerva explained for me as she stepped forward.

Minerva's eyes glowed brightly and another figure appeared behind the girl. A woman with black hair, and golden eyes.

"You're Alice's pet?" Minerva asked. "She abandoned you? Or did you run from her?"

The vampire hissed back at Minerva, refusing to answer her question.

"Mikky, do you kill demons?" She asked.

"When needed." I answered.

"Then I can expect your help?" She asked.

"Yes." I stepped up beside her just as the vampire ran forwards.

My head pounded in my skull, and all the strength left my body. I fell to my knees, and the vampire ran right towards me. Minerva stepped around me and knocked the vampire away as Akeno wrapped her arms around my shoulders kneeling beside me.

"What do you see?" I heard her whisper.

I could see that vampire girl. Not covered in blood like she was. She was smiling, at me. Talking to me. What she said I couldn't hear, but she was talking. She was normal.

Was this before she was turned?

Reality jumped back into my face and I blinked. "Minerva! Don't kill her!" I roared.

Minvera had the vampire suspended in the air, her hand held up as if it was wrapped around her neck.

Stargazers were magic users.

"Are you nuts? She's a Stray. She needs to be put down." Minerva told me.

"N-No! She's not a Stray!" I yelled. "And she's not Alice's!" My mouth was moving on its own. Minvera turned her head to look at me.