Chapter 15

I woke up cold. Akeno was no longer in my body. Instead she was laying beside me, her tail draped over me like a blanket. She was awake, running circles on my stomach with her finger. My shirt was back on, but her hand was over the fabric, not touching my skin.

I grabbed her wrist and sat up, and she sat up with me, watching my face carefully as if waiting for me to get angry with her, but I had nothing to be upset about. Instead I moved my hand from her wrist to her hand that I held tightly.

"What happened?" I ask. "I remember us merging... And then..."

"You fell asleep from my warmth. I'm not surprised though. You were tired, and my flame must have been comforting to your sadness." She explained.

"Thank you for that." I smiled weakly at her. She returned the smile.

"Since we can merge easily, the next time you go out as the Master Thief, I would like to go with you." She asked. "Is this alright?"

"Yes. I could use company that can't actually blow my cover." I answered, still holding my smile. Her face was just as happy, and after a few seconds I was lost in her gaze.

Her scarlet eyes were mezmerizing. They were perfect as with her features. She had the perfect body, the perfect face. Her ears and tail only added to it. Her fluffy tail was still draped across my lap.

I found myself leaning forward, and she leaned down too to meet me half way, but then she stopped and lowered her head, pressing her forehead into my collar bone. Her arms wrapped tightly around my mid section as if she expected me to leave because she neglected me of our kiss.

I returned the gesture, and my arms wrapped around her. "Are you alright?" I asked.

"It would not be fair on you." She said. "This relationship."

"How so?"

"I am a Goddess." She whimpered. Her voice cracked and I could hear her sobs. "It is not meant to be."

"Then why do you shed tears?" I asked. "I am immortal, I am the Weaver of Fate or whatever. And even when I die, you can take my soul and hold it forever. I'll still be able to talk to you, and be with you."

"We have only just met." Akeno said. "You do not know me."

"But you know me. You know my past, and my future. You can see what I cannot. I need you, and I want you. You just have to follow your heart."

"Follow my heart?"

"Yes. Please. Let's just try it out before you go saying its not fair. Please."

"You just like my flame."

"I love your flame, but its not the reason." I told her with a laugh.

"No. I guess it isn't. My 'perfect body' is what gets your attention." She answered as she raised her head to look at me.

"You can read my thoughts?" I questioned.

"We're merged." She answered as she looked down at her hands. Her forearms and upper arms were covered in similar, but not as complex tattoos as the ones I had. And they were more red in color. While mine covered every inch of my skin almost like Zebra stripes, hers were only on the top of her arms, and there was much more skin in between.

"And that means?" I asked, noticing that some of the tattoos on my arms were red, and only the ones in the same pattern as the ones she had.

"It's very similar to being mated. And when everything in this world mates they hear the thoughts of their mate." She said.

"Everything?" I questioned.

"The demons mostly." She shrugged.

"I see... So are we together?" I asked.

She frowned a bit, but then smiled up at me. "We're already mates, so we might as-"

Before she could finish, my body reacted on its own, and I pulled her into a deep kiss. Our tongues kept to themselves, but it was still filled with passion and want.

I was physically stronger than her, but I was so gentle with her. I was almost afraid she would break and I would lose her.

When we pulled back for air, we both had goofy smiles.

"I like this feeling." I told her.

"Me too." She answered. "I want to stay with you. Elysium will pick someone new to go to Krate."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes." She nodded.

"What about that wolf Edon?"

"Let her come. I don't care." Akeno growled. "If she wants a fight I'll give her one."

Shiva knocked on the door. "Akeno, hide Mikky's tattoos the guards are searching."

Just as Shiva stopped speaking the door swung opened and three guards came in. Akeno had already hid my tattoos and we both sat up looking confused.

"The Master Thief is not here." Said the guard on the right.

"Station guards in the orphanage. The Thief comes each afternoon with more food." Said the one in the middle.

"The Thief is feeding these children!" Akeno yelled.

"The King has asked we do anything we can to catch her-"

"And you cannot stay in my orphanage." Minerva hissed as she came into the room behind the guards who turned and pointed their weapons at her. The angry vampire was now an obvious threat.

"We can do as we wish!"

"Maybe you can exploit the people in this village, but you will not punish these children. If I see a single guard so much as look at this building I'll tear off his head." Minerva growled.

"You threaten the guards?"

"I threaten the King!" Minerva roared. "You are in my land, not the other way around. If the King does not speak to me by midnight tonight, I will contact my mother Zia Stargazer. And if she does nothing, I will contact Rose instead. So you tell your King that Minerva waits no more!"

The guards pushed past her and ran from the building. Her eyes were a sickening crimson color, that told me she was beyond angry.

"What did they do?" I asked.

"They beat up John, and threatened my children." Minerva growled. "I won't force you to kill the King, I understand its not something you do. But killing him was the nice thing. Rose and Zia will punish him forever for doing his to children, and to the poor."

I nodded slowly, in understanding.

Minerva was at wits end. She couldn't deal with this herself, and she didn't know what else she could do since I wouldn't help her. Her only choice was to call in her family.

Her eyes dimmed back to bronze and she put her fingers to her temples and sighed deeply. She then stood up straight, and turned to leave the room.

"I'm going to wait for a message from the King."