Chapter 20

I left Akeno sleeping the next morning, and left her a note, telling her that I was going back into the city to pick up some spices and fruits, as I was craving apples for some reason, and my apple tree wasn't fully grown yet.

I tied my horse into the stables and went to the stall, people seemed shocked as I walked past in casual attire, the guards glaring but otherwise not going after me.

I had almost forgotten my appearance was still that of The Master Thief.

The owner of the fruit stall I visited looked like he was about to faint when I asked him for apples.

"You're not going to rob me?" He asked, his hands shaking.

"Your city is liberated from the corrupt King. If I were to continue to steal, then this city would take that much longer to get back on track. My only goal was helping the poor to even out the economy." I answered.

"Don't make any mistakes!" Another man shouted across the market place. "She's a thief and always will be!"

"Do not insult the Master Thief!" A guard shouted as he pointed his sword at the man's throat. "She is best friend to our Royal Majesty, and insulting her friends will not be tollerated!"

I reconized the man's voice. It was John. Out in the day?

The man appologized and he walked over before pointing to his glowing bracelet made of light blue stones.

"Its a moonstone charm. With it, the daylight cannot touch me." He explained with a smile. He was dressed in the usual gaurds metal armor with his helmet on, hence why I couldn't reconize his face.

"Thank you, but you don't need to baby me John." I smiled. "I'm more than capable of taking care of myself."

"The guards are under orders to defend the Master Thief unless you're actually being a thief. In which case we are to apprehend you. Though if your reputation is true, we won't have any luck." He smirked. "But I don't think you're going to rob a city that is just getting back on its feet are you?"

"No John. I'm not." I smiled. I set a small bag of gold on the stall table and smiled at the owner. "Can I get those apples please? Throw in some oranges and pears too if you'd be so kind."

The man smiled at me and pepared a rather large bag full of fruit. I handed him my coins, and not waiting for him to tell me it was too much (as it was a fairly large pouch, but small for me, I am a thief after all) I walked away with John following.

"So a guard now?"

"Captain of the Guard actually." John corrected. "The previous one stepped down when Minerva said all charges against you were dropped. I guess he's still hunting you. Be careful on your way home, I haven't seen him since he left."

"Thanks for the warning John. I'll be back in a week or so." He politely took my horse from the stables and smiled and waved as I rode away.

I kept my hood down, and let my ears turn to every sound as I rode back home. Star seemed a bit nervous, and I could feel the eyes on the back of my head. Someone was following me.

"You'll be wise to go the other way." I warned.

"I'm heading on the same road friend." Came an elderly man's voice. I turned my head as an old man rode up beside me on a rather strong looking stallion. Two large bags were hooked up to the saddle of his horse and the contents rattled around like pots and pans.

"I'm heading to Yeagar young lady, thats this road here. And you?" The man asked.

"Frostfall." I answered.

"I see. When I go right, you go left, am I right?" The man smiled warmly.

"Yes." I returned the smile.

"So the Master Thief lives in Frostfall?"

I laughed a bit. "Something like that."

"I saw that you actually bought something today. People didn't seem to think you knew how to do that."

"It was nice to buy instead of steal for once." I said as I pat Star's neck, easing her as she still seemed jumpy.

"Why'd you steal then?"

"I was already punished by the Gods when I stole the Blind Seers Eye. They punished me sevearly for my greed. I learned my lesson, and the only time I would steal for myself is to get food. I stole things from the rich to give to the poor, as the rich were abusing the poor. Augerheim was an aweful place. The King was cruel, and now he is no more. I will not ruin the city that can become great given time."

"Very noble for someone who steals." The man chuckled.

"Do I amuse you old man?" I smirked.

"Old man? Bah, I'm younger than you!"

I couldn't hold back my laughter. "Indeed you are."

"So there's a rumor that you've found love in a Fox Girl." He said.

"Perhaps." I answered.

"That's a yes."

"Mind your own business."

"Is she like you? Immortal I mean?"

"Yes." I said, almost carefully.

"Is she cursed?"

"Her curse is dating me I'm afraid." I answered, getting him to laugh some more.

I enjoyed his company for the next hour. We talked and joked around before we finally came to the fork in the road.

"If you're ever in Yeager, head to the General Store and ask for Hoff." He said. "I'd love to continue talking with you."

"Likewise. And my name isn't Master Thief. It's Mikky."

"Very well then Mikky. I hope to see you soon." He waved and rode off and I rode my own way.

When I arrived home, Akeno practically tripped out the front door when she came to greet me. "Why did you not wake me when you left?" She asked with a pout on her face.

"I was craving apples and I couldn't find any here. So I went to get some." I answered as I tied up Star and pulled the bag off her back, and tossed it over my shoulder as I walked back into the house. "Plus, it was nice to finally buy something instead of steal it."

"I was worried!" She shouted.

"Of what?" I asked as I set the bag on the table and looked at her.

"I wasn't there! Anything could have happened and you were two hours down the road!" She said.

I smiled and took her hands before kissing her on the cheek. "You worry too much."

She mumbled something like "Of course I worry." as I stepped back and started setting the fruit in a small basket I set on the counter before grabbing an apple and biting into it.

"I missed you apples." I muttered to myself.

"You're so weird." She rolled her eyes.

"What would you like to eat then?" I asked her.

She opened her mouth to say something then rolled her eyes and smiled like she had just stopped herself from saying something dirty. "I'd like some more of your deer please. Its delicious."

"You were going to say me weren't you?" I asked as I took another bite.

"You said it, not me." She shrugged.

"Huh? Sex with a Fox God does sound interesting." I kept my eyes on my apple, but I watched her shiver out of the corner of my eye.

I think she liked that idea too.

Actually I knew. Because the second I looked back at her, she grabbed me by the front of my shirt and pulled me into the most passionate kiss I've ever had.

Needless to say, I wasn't craving apples anymore.