Chapter 34

I must have fallen asleep on the way back home about seven times till Akeno got fed up of me nearly falling off the horse, so she pretty much pushed me off.

I stumbled a few steps and she led Star off the road and into the forest where we could set up camp and not have to worry about anyone robbing us on the road. I sat on a log and yawned, rubbing my eyes.

"You are the laziest Demi-God I have ever seen." Akeno sighed.

"Demi-God?" I questioned.

"You're not mortal, but you're not immortal. Demi-God." She explained.

"Still. It's not my fault. I had like six visions today, and I got my ass kicked by a bunch of vampires." I yawned again.

Akeno used her flame to light a camp fire. She didn't make it too bright, but bright enough to keep the animals away. Small enough so people wouldn't notice it from the road.

That is, if anyone was crazy enough to make a three hour journey to the next town in the middle of the night.

Like us.

I moved so I was sitting on the ground, leaned against the log so I could lean back. My exhaustion set in, and I found my eyes closing before I could say another word.

I woke when the morning light shown through the trees, picking at my sleeping eyes. Akeno was curled up beside me, her head on my shoulder. Star was laying opposite us, and he was sleeping soundly. Star was weird, as he chose to sleep laying down instead of standing up. I make weird friends.

Akeno stirred as if she could sense that I was awake. She raised her head and smiled softly at me. A smile which I returned. "How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Still pretty tired, but not as bad as last night." I answered.

"Good, because I want to get home." Akeno answered.

"What's waiting at home?"

"My bath." She smiled. "My fur feels icky from not having one in a day."

I pet her tail. "Your fur feels fine to me."

"Maybe to you. But to me it doesn't." She retorted. "I want to go have a bath, so hurry up and get up." She answered as she stood up.

"We need to eat too you know." I grumbled.

"Taken care of." She answered as she tossed a piece of jerky at me. I snatched it out of the air then raised an eyebrow at her.

"It's rabbit." Akeno answered. "I caught it last night while you were sound asleep."

"And you already turned it into jerky?"

"I'm pretty good when it comes to my flame." She smirked. "Now hurry up." She hopped on Star's back before patting his neck softly, getting the horse to stand up. I chuckled and stood up myself, taking a bite out of my jerky before mounting the horse, this time behind Akeno. One arm wrapped around her stomach while the other held the jerky.

"Where'd you learn how to cook so well?" I asked her.

"I've lived in the woods for a very long time. I knew which plants were poisonous, and which ones were spices. I did look through your thoughts to see if you were allergic to anything though, but that was about it." Akeno explained. Star trotted a little differently, like he had a bounce in his step.

"Does Star like you more than me?" I asked.

"I promised him apples and sugar cubes when we got home." Akeno answered.

"Did you now?" I raised an eyebrow. "You're making me feel left out."

"Did you want your apples too?" She smirked over her shoulder.