IV. Fool

Scarlet was absolutely surprised at how fast Raoul caught up with modern social skills. Whatever Scarlet handed to Raoul, he would complete it in perfection, as if he was a naturalist.

Surprisingly, the hard part was teaching him the basic, which was letters and numbers. Afterward, he would grasp everything in the blink of an eye.

In a few days, Raoul learned how to bathe himself and used the toilet. There was a strange two hours phase where Raoul believe that the toilet was the devil's work, but it passed as fast as it comes. Scarlet also thank God that Raoul only had one accident in the storage space, and that was it.

"What's this?" Scarlet asked, twirling the fruit between her fingers.

"Apple," he replied, giving her a single stern nod.

"Fruit or vegetable?"

"Fruit."

"Color?"

"Red."

"What's this?"

"Stop sign."

"And what do you do?"

"Stop your car, check, then go."

"And a yellow light mean?"

Raoul pointed a finger in the air. "Speed up!" Then his face twisted. "But, I read the book, and it says to slow down. Are you sure its speed up?" he question.

Scarlet patted his shoulder. "Its speed up," she said in a firm voice.

Hesitantly, he nods, "Scarlet, teach me something else! These are too easy!" he whined, tugging at her arm.

She chuckled, seeing Annabella walked into the room. "Why don't you teach him how to cook or bake?" she suggested.

Scarlet rolled her eyes, "Just like how I taught him how to fix the roof and put new tiles in the bathroom?"

Annabella rolled her eyes, "A man needs to know how to work those things anyways," she said, then look at Raoul. "Did you clear the path?"

Raoul nod proudly, "And clean the fire chimney! I chop the wood and everything!"

Annabella nods in approval then looks at Scarlet, who was scowling in disapproval. "What? The boy isn't going to live here for free!" she waved a hand at her, then smirks, "Afterall, you don't seem to he complaining seeing him chop wood. I'm quite certain you want to see his hard woo-"

"Grandma!" Scarlet shouted, causing Annabella to chuckled.

Scarlet shook her head while Annabella pretended to start baking. She turned towards Raoul. "We can go to the bookstore later and grab you some books to read, okay?"

He nodded, then held her hand, causing her heart to beat erratically. "Can I read about astronomy?"

"You can grab any book you want."

Scarlet grab her bag from upstairs, getting ready to go to the bookstore. Her phone rang, and she sighed, seeing the caller ID. "Hi, mother."

"Sweetheart. How is everything over there? Are you eating well?"

"Mother. You call grandma every morning and night. You should know I'm still breathing."

"Are things better over there?" she asked, causing Scarlet to wonder if she knows about Raoul.

Scarlet kicked her foot, "Yes, I'm thinking about the family business."

Her mother sighed, "I meant you, sweetheart, not the family business."