XVIII. The Pain of the Heart

Scarlet tapped her finger on the glass window as a hefty sigh escaped her throat. Her eyes followed each building passing by, wondering why time was cruising by at such a snail-like pace.

She hissed lowly, feeling the burning sensation on her collarbone not understanding why it pains her ever since she stepped into werewolves territories.

"Raoul," she mumbled, placing a hand on the marking. "Don't worry...I'll save you."

When she arrived, the driver called Scarlet a few times before she woke up. Shaking her head lightly, she opened the door and stepped out seeing a dull white building. One by one, she walked towards the double door with guards lurking at her shadows.

Upon entering a typical room, Scarlet sat down, eyes meeting with a pair of green.

"Mr.Saunders," she greeted him politely, knowing her place. Her family may own an empire, but their powers were held mainly in Europe. Outside of their territory, they are nothing more than wealthy individuals.

He smiled, "Miss Scarlet." He leaned forward causing the chair to squeak as he intertwined his finger together above the black folder. "I am not the type of man who does meaningless chattering. So, shall we get down to business?"

She nodded.

"Your grandma called me, informing me of the importance of this meeting. One to get Raoul - a newly shifted werewolf - legal entrance into the human community. You also wished to bring him with you back to Europe?"

She nodded, crossing one ankle behind the other. "Yes." She ruffled through her purse and pulled out a plastic bag with a piece of cookie inside  "I spoke with grandma, and she told me you are in need for Beta-3G and all other drugs?"

"That...I am."

"You do understand that I'm going to take over Grandma's Bakery soon."

He nodded, "I had heard."

"It's not my parents to decide whether to complete the transaction with you, but me."

He raised a brow.

"If you want a smooth transaction. Give Raoul back," her tone was strained, almost threatening.

The clock began ticking on the wall as Daniel leaned back, a peal of ruffled laughter exiting his throat cracking the silence. Scarlet tilted her head as her face scrunched together. After some time, Daniel laughter died into little chuckles. "Ah...What if Raoul doesn't want to go back with you?"

Scarlet hands crunched into fists as she glared harshly at Daniel. "Ra-Raoul does."

Daniel leaned forward, clicking a button on a remote turning on the TV.

At the scene, Scarlet felt as if someone threw a knife into her heart. Tears began twinkling down her cheeks as she watches Raoul embracing another woman.

Raoul stood there, not understanding why he was holding a complete stranger, but he did. His arms refused to follow his command as he continued feeling her heartbeats against his chest.

She looked up; a wide-grinned across her lips as she held onto his shirt1. "I'm so happy to have finally found you." Her voice was filled with sorrow as she placed her cheek back on his chest. "Everyone kept telling me you were gone, but I didn't believe them. I told them that you would find me one day," she whispered, joyous tears rolling down her cheeks.

Raoul's mouth cracked open, but nothing escaped as he attempted to reorganize his thoughts. Before he can say anything, the door opened, and he twisted his body seeing no other than Scarlet.

Her eyes reverted from the woman in his arms towards him. Raoul could tell - Scarlet been crying.

Scarlet opened her trembling lips, and Raoul looked at the woman in his arms then pushed her away lightly making his way towards her. She took a step back, rejecting his advances as her eyes laid on his shoes.

The ones she got for him.

The ones that were just - perfect.

Unlike them.

Tears dripped down her swollen eyes. "I-I understand," she whispered, and quickly escaped into the hallway passing by the curious workers before Raoul could get a chance to say anything.

His legs jolted, ready to chase after her until he felt a small pair of hands on his wrist. "Raoul?" the girl whispered, as the tears dripped down her eyes.

Witnessing the interaction between them, she knew it was a lovers affair.

But, how could it be?

How could her mate hold a lover spat?

"W-Who is she?" the female asked.

Raoul continued feeling the static shock between them, making him weak on his knees yet disgusted.

He didn't want this.

He didn't want her.

He didn't want a mate.

He wants Scarlet.

He was supposed to be the Red's Wolf.

His feet felt as if it was planted on the cleansed ground, as his eyes refused to avert from her teary ones. Her hands were trembling, gripping onto him tightly. She bit her lower lips in an excruciatingly seductive manner, and Raoul forced himself to swallow the desire lurking within him.

Meanwhile, Scarlet kept running as she rubbed viscously on her collarbone praying somehow the mark would disappear. Once she reached the exit, she inhaled deeply...short rapid breaths.

Her mind was in a hazy, as the images around her blurred. She flattens her palm on the white building, as she clawed on the tattoo that reminded her of the pain — boots digging in the snow as the blood began spilling out of her flesh, painting it red.

Scarlet dropped to her knees, feeling the cold sensation around her as she cried in agony. "Liar...liar...liar...Raoul you liar."

Her heart tightens while her lungs gasp for the chilly air.

At that moment, Scarlet knew why it hurt so much.

It was never the mark...rather her heart that was in pain.

rather her heart that was in pain