XV. The Facility

Shock was an understatement as Scarlet watched Raoul entered the car without giving her a single glance.

Perhaps, that was it...

Perhaps...she was used?

Raoul sat in the back as the car motions, his eyes cast into the rearview mirror seeing Scarlet standing there as beautiful as ever as tears streamed down her reddened cheeks.

He kept gazing at her until she disappeared.

The car ride was long and deadly, not a single word uttered in the air. They reached the airport, and still, no words were taken as Randon began working on the paperwork. Raoul sat there listening to Scarlet's voice.

"Why did he leave?"

"Am I not good enough?"

"Does he hate me?"

Raoul closed his eyes, feeling the pain prickling through his chest.

"He said he loves me."

Quinton sat beside him, resting his leg on top of the other one. "You remember me...Don't you kid?"

He nodded.

Quinton gazed out the large glass window of the airport as the people flowed back and forth, rushing towards their destination or merely resting on the black chair waiting for their flight to be called. "Why did you allow them to find you?"

"I...I don't want to go back," Raoul whispered, remembering the awful sleepless night as he laid his small body in the corner of the cement room.

He remembers it...all of it.

After his so-called father threw his mother and him out of the house, his mother began hitting him, saying how it was all his fault for being born.

The humorous part was, she was the one who spread her legs for another man after vowing her soul to her husband.

Raoul silently tolerated it, the beating and neglection until his mother was given an offer. He remembered it so; clearly, the day his mother took him out to watch a movie and told him to buy anything from the concession stand. Afterward, they went out for ice cream, and she spoiled him with three scoops.

He thought that his mother was changing, trying to become a better person.

He thought they could be happy together.

That was until his mother held his hand and left him into the forest. Raoul wanted to go home, but she told him there isn't a home for them to go back.

They never had a home.

Raoul understood it all; the moment men surrounded them. They gave his mother a suitcase of cash, and she left without batting a single lash as they carried him away.

They threw him inside the trunk of the car, kicking and screaming...for anyone.

When he arrived in the facility, that's where Raoul learned the meaning of the word hell.

Raoul was subject 12.

"I...I don't want to go back to the facility," his voice cracked as he listened to Scarlet's darken thoughts. "I want to stay here."

Raoul never wanted to leave Scarlet's side, but he knew he had to. Scarlet didn't notice it, but Raoul did the moment they closen towards the cottage. There were more than two werewolves settled around them.

Quinton cupped his hands. "How far?" he asked.

Raoul looked at him. "How far what?"

"How far do you think Miss Scarlet will sacrifice for you?"

Quinton chuckled unamusingly, "No..that's not the real question."

He turned his head towards Raoul whose eyes flashed black. "How far is a werewolf who doesn't have his own wolf willing to go for someone who isn't their mate?"

Raoul knew he wasn't a normal werewolf. He read all about it, when werewolves turned seventeen they would hear this voice - their wolf's voice - to support and guide them.

Raoul never heard that voice.